cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Living with a drug addict: How to help someone that just uses you and doesn't want help.

I was wondering if you could offer me some advice as I am stuck and don’t know what to do. I don’t know how to help my sister anymore.

She has drug addiction, has two childs and they live with us at home. It was only meant to be temporary but she has been here for 9 years now.

She has hit a really low period. She is using majority of her money on drugs. She denies it but we can all see the signs. She screams and yells, asks for money all the time etc etc. It makes living at home hard. We are always making sure the childs are okay fed and clothed. I want her out of the house to get better and to take the kids with her.

we dont give her any money at all. She gets lones and stuff of other people. She uses all her pay and doesnt save anything.

I’m just at a loss of what to do, right now. We have tried talking, yelling and looking after the kids while she attempts to redraw, but it doesn’t work. She just uses us. How do you help someone that does want help? what to do?

Re: Living with a drug addict: How to help someone that just uses you and doesn't want help.

Hi Clare

That sounds like it must be so tough. Congratulations on your enduring courage and bravery; it's a testament to the strength of your character.

Every situation is going to be slightly different, and with children involved, that can complicate things a little more. If we focus just on your sister, maybe some of this will help.

First off, this story might help. It's someone's personal tale of what they went through before they were able to get off drugs.

With that in mind, sometimes making the decision that you need help is a really tough one to make. Many people aren't ready for it, but they still need your support to get through it. Here's what to do when someone doesn't want help.

Also, make sure you're looking after yourself. If you can't be there to help when they're ready, it's going to be even harder on them.

That aside, for more direct advice focused on your situation, you can visit Lifeline or give them a call on 13 11 14.

It won't be easy but you've taken a first step toward helping your sister, which is a great start. Good luck and please come back and share with us how things go.

Does anyone else have an experience relating to this? Perhaps sharing it here could help Clare with her own situation? We'd love to hear what others have to say.

Re: Living with a drug addict: How to help someone that just uses you and doesn't want help.

Thank-you so much for taking the time to reply, I really appreaciate all your advice, it helped put things in perspective.

I think things are finally sinking in to my sister, I think she has come to a realisation that she has to get back on track. Hopefully everything will all go well. She can be a nice person. I guess it's just one step at a time really.

Thanks ClareClare for coming back and updating us. I really do hope everything goes well for your sister, your family and yourself. Smiley Happy

If you need more advice, you know where to find us Smiley Very Happy

Doris

even if it's small steps at the moment, CC - sounds like things might be turning around for your family Smiley Happy

JD.