cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long distance grief

I recently lost somebody I consider close to me. He taught me a lot about myself, my family and my culture, what he taught me is so etched into my memory that its changed how I do and think about certain things pretty much every day. 

But the thing is he wasn’t so close to me in a physical sense, we didn’t see each other every day, week or even every month. That is what has been making this process even harder for me, I haven’t had the money to go to the Northern Territory to be with my family. Its really difficult not being there when your mate and relative needed you the most and not being able to say goodbye and there’s the added guilt of that too.

I’m going to share a few things that have helped me. They may be worth a try for you.

- Stay busy, if it’s too hard to actually do something like going to work, keeping busy with something enjoyable like a surf. 

- Writing letters back home 

- Looking through pictures,don’t have many but got them printed last week. 

- Trying to picture the good times spent rather than the sad stuff 

- Write down the best things about him and the most valuable things I remember 

- Try organising a trip up North by having a savings goal 

Re: Long distance grief

@Saltwaterdreamtime thank you so much for sharing this. 

My heart goes out to you - grief is a complex and painful journey. I'm so sorry to hear that you lost someone so special to you. Must be really hard to not be with your family. 

The things you've been doing that have helped are amazing to read - thank you for sharing so much hope. Heart

Thanks @gina-RO I miss him and I dont like the thought of visiting and him not being there but hope it helps somebody else too.

@Saltwaterdreamtime Thank you for sharing this, especially during a difficult time. 

Sending you lots of support. Heart

p.s wish I could surf! 

Thanks @lennycat2017
I am feeling sad tonight

Aand this thread @Lan-RO

I haven’t been doing much just listening to the rain outside that’s it @Lan-RO I just miss him and it doesnt makes sense to me

@SaltwaterdreamtimeI really feel for you, I can only imagine how much you must be missing him Heart 

Happened so suddenly @Lan-RO Smiley Sad

I was just there not that long ago and he was well