cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Mental Health Help

Hi @Bee 

I have just been catching up on this conversation. I agree with everyone in that you have been working so hard to come up with different thoughtful strategies to help in this situation which is so brave.

I really like some of the suggestions that have been coming through especially the Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP). I know what you mean about how researching and implementing the WRAP could feel a bit daunting. I wonder if you could discuss it with your Psychologist, they might be able to do the research with you?

I can relate to not being able to see progress, it is really important to take time to reflect. From reading what you have discussed here, you have spoken about progress so much, like building a strong relationship with your psychologist and all the strategies you have put in place Heart

@Claire-RO It's both researching the idea and then actually doing it. I can struggle to identify and admit to my treating team what helps (especially if I think it's silly or whatever)

I know I've made progress from where I was when I first saw my psychologist and say a year ago. But then in other aspects I haven't. Like somethings have remained the same, while others have changed. So I guess that's where sometimes I feel like there's limited progress. (I also notice that somedays I'm unable to see my progress, but some days I am)

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

@Bee it's great how self reflective you are being, even with the things that you find difficult and you are right to acknowledge your progress. It's totally normal to have days where you feel the progress more than others and sometimes it's about trusting the process and ourselves that we are doing the best we can on that particular day and knowing we can reach out for help if we are struggling!

@Bee  I think that's a really common issue. I remember having similar experiences with my psychologist. It's great that you're able to acknowledge and reflect on your progress. I think everyone has days where it's hard to tell if anything is working and days where they feel better.

Would it help to have a physical tracker of your progress such as a diary? I know a lot of people like to be able to see what has changed or improved, and what hasn't. That could help with identifying the areas you'd like to work on with your team.

@Bee I hope things have been travelling along okay for you in the last few days, it sounds like you've received some helpful comments. 

you've shown a lot strength by putting your story out there and seeking some support during a really hard time. 

Sending you my best wishes going forward Smiley Happy

@WheresMySquishy I've previously tried tracking my mood in a diary, I've tried an app, I've tried Journalling every day. But it doesn't stick for long. An app was the easiest, but most days it felt like a chore, so I didn't really think or I just put it in the middle so I didn't have to think about it. So it kind of didn't work very well as I wasn't inputting honest data.

Thank you @reach804 (and welcome to the builder program!)

@Bee To be honest, journalling doesn't work particularly well for me either, for very similar reasons. Building that self-awareness is so difficult, and this is something I'm trying to do for myself (and don't do very well). Having said that, being able to identify that you are progressing in certain areas is actually pretty inspiring. I hope you're giving yourself the credit you deserve for that. Heart

I've just been wondering whether the psychiatrist's approach is a factor here? Sometimes the approach used by a professional does not suit the client's situation/personality/character etc. This isn't to apportion blame for any of this onto anybody, but it is something worth pondering. I struggle with talking to professionals as well, and I haven't come close to breaking some of these barriers down. So I don't know how much help I can be with this situation. But just know you're not alone. Heart

hey @Bee just wanted to check in to see how your going?
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

@mrmusic it's not that it doesn't work, Journalling does hold a place for me, but only when I can, otherwise it adds too much pressure on myself and it ends poorly.
Honestly, I struggle with giving myself credit for things. My psychologist is encouraging me to do it more. I'm trying - it feels so weird!

I've thought about this question since I read it in my inbox. At first thought, I didn't know whether the psychiatrists' approach was a factor or not. I don't have feelings one way or the other.
But a couple of the things she said the last appointment (Tuesday) annoyed me. I won't go into them now as they are still a bit raw and I'd like to process them privately first.
But this is still a "wait and see thing". I've been seeing her now for quite a while, and I still don't have any real opinion. Which is also weird for me, because with my current GP and my psychologist I knew in that first appointment they were the person I wanted to continue seeing. (shrugs)

@scared01 thank you for checking in. I'm about the same. Taking it one day at a time. Trying not to think too much about anything stressful/into the future.

I saw the psychiatrist yesterday. I was able to say a couple of things that I wanted, but I wasn't able to go into depth to give more information. Partly because I wasn't able to come out with it straight away, and partly because she didn't probe me for the information. We have decided to look at adding another medication, so I was meant to see her again in two weeks, but the closest I could get was 5 weeks (shrug), so took that and put my name on the cancelation list. I'm in two minds about another medication, but I've got time to think about it etc.

hey @Bee
sometimes all that we can do is take it day by day. Heart
i hear you on the medications, sometimes we dont really know what is best but adding/not adding is also your decision. for me ive decided that i dont want to go back on any more medication unless i really have to or feel that i need to
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**