cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Mental health declining over the holiday period

Hello to anyone who is reading this,

if you find yourself struggling during this New Year or during the Christmas period, you are not alone. So much pressure is put during this particular week or so, especially in the first two or so weeks after New Years. You have the whole year to achieve whatever it is you want. If you have struggled in the past with setting one massive 'resolution' maybe try breaking it down into smaller, more attainable and specific goals. If you don't have any resolutions, that's awesome also!! Whatever works for you!! 

If you do find your mental health sliding, try putting in those strategies you have in place, or post on this thread for any advice. Get in contact with someone you trust or write a diary entry. Surround yourself with something that makes you feel good. Take time out to settle everything down in yourself. You aren't failing or weak or incapable. Events like New Years or Christmas create lots of pressures and can be very stressful. Please be gentle on yourself.

If you have any struggles, concerns, queries, please please share on this post!! You got this, the world is yours. Be unapologetically you Smiley Happy 

Re: Mental health declining over the holiday period

Sometimes I get sad during the holidays because I find there is no structure in my life after school has ended. So I try to stay busy and make up my own schedule e.g. go to the gym every second day. It gives me something to look forward to. 

In regards to New Years resolutions, do not feel pressured. Dates are just man-made. You are allowed to acheive your goals whenever you feel you are ready. You don't have to let a calendar define that time, YOU can define it. If you fail, just keep going. Smiley Happy

This was the first Christmas where I actually felt stressed. A note to my future self would be START PLANNING EARLY!!! Smiley Tongue

Exactly right @Crumpet about New Years resolutions!!! Really good on you for creating your own schedule, holidays can be a sad time and kind of confusing cause you don't have that structure from either school or uni or work Smiley Happy

That's amazing, thank you so much @jangel7!! Something I needed today Smiley Happy Smiley Happy 

I'm glad the post as been of help to you @honky!!!!! I hope you have an awesome weekend Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Thank you @jangel7!! I hope you have an awesome weekend too, do you have any plans? Smiley Happy

@honky just trying to stay cool from the heat (!!) and working on a couple of creative projects. What about yourself??

ohh that sounds interesting @jangel7, what creative projects are you working on?

I was planning on going to the beach, but I'm second thinking it now, as I don't want to get sunburnt haha

@honky some covers for a friends EP that he's releasing soonish! If you wear sunscreen and go when the UV isn't too high you'll be fine!!! The beach is a good place to be when it's warm, anywhere that's cool!! 

ohh that's awesome @jangel7, sounds super exciting!!

I ended up going to the beach, without sunscreen... as we were halfway there before we remembered haha, we were more worried about having spare clothes, so now i am sunburnt Smiley Tongue