cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My sister is addicted to drugs, we don't know what we can do anymore, any advice?

Hi, my sister Georgia has been depressed for over two years now due to bullying in middle school and high school. The only way she found to cope wih this was drugs and smoking. She agreed to let us get her help at a rehabilitation centre called esther house. She left the house after a week. She hasn't been home since and she won't tell us where she is, she assured us shes safe but I don't know what else I can do to try to convince her that drugs are not the thing you should turn to whenever life gives you challenges. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. By the way i'm only 14 thanks x

Re: My sister is addicted to drugs, we don't know what we can do anymore, any advice?

Hi Snowflake. I'm sorry to hear about your sister, it must be really scary not knowing where she is or how to help her. It's hard to help someone overcome drug issues when they are not ready for help.

I googled Esther House - is it the one in Canada? This Reach Out forum is based in Australia so the links on our website may not work for you, but you could try contacting one of the Canadian services listed here.

Re: My sister is addicted to drugs, we don't know what we can do anymore, any advice?

No it's not in Canada it's in Australia 

Hey @Snowflake 

You are so brave to be so honest and open with us. It sounds like both you and your sister have been going through a lot and it must be very difficult for you seeing her like this. I cant imagine what you are going through but its great that you are trying to support her and haven't given up on her. 

One thing I do know is that you cannot change someone who doesn't want to change. It seems like Georgia is not ready to change and I think all you can do is support her and be there for her and keep encouraging her to go to the rehab centre. Sometimes just being there for someone can be all they need to make changes in their lives. Have you spoken to your family about how you are feeling about all of this? 

I hope this helps and don't forget to take care of yourself as well, sometimes worry for others can take away from taking care of ourselves and we are here to support you through this. 

Take care 

Hey, @Snowflake . Thanks for posting. Really brave of you to share. Your sister is lucky to have you looking out for her. I can't imagine how hard it must be to see somebody close to you go through drug addiction. I've got a friend whose elder brother had a drug addiction. I remember this friend telling me that his father would sometimes pay for the drugs when he had people show up at his doorstep threatening to harm his son if payment wasn't made. I was struck by the impossibility of the choice that he was forced to make: pay for the drug habit that was ruining his son and family because his son couldn't, or stand aside and watch as he was beaten to a pulp. The best thing you can do for your sister is have her know that you're there for her, I think. It will take a lot of love and patience and strength on your part, but these are qualities that you seem to have in abundance.