cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Eating Disorder to another.

I am not real sure how to start....but here goes....

I have suffered with Anorexia, Despression and Anxiety for the past 7 years. I was 15 when it all started, my pop passed away and I was suffering from a voice condition call Abductor Spasmodic Dysphonia, so I was a complete whisper for months on end. Anyway... I have recieved so much treatment, hospitalisations you name it for my Eating Disorder. My last admission was just over 18 months ago, and since finishing my CBT Program with my psychologist, things have gone the other way.

Recently I have been suffering severe episodes of bingeing. This is something new to me as I have never been one to binge, and was ALWAYS in control of my food. But over the past month or two, I feel like I have lost control, and binge ALL the time, right to the point I am so sick and uncomfortable. This has become really distressing for me, and I am at my wits end as to what to do. My Dietician and Mental Health Nurse are all I see now, and I have only just addressed it to them two weeks ago. I am embarrased, and I feel like a failure. So we have just started working on this, but nothing seems to be working. We have tried food diarys again, meal planning, meal plans, mindfullness etc. It is almost as though I dissociate and I am not in my body when I binge and as soon as I finish it all comes crashing down. I feel like I have lost the ability to feel full. People keep telling me it is common to swing from one ED to the other, especially after Anorexia. I am just so lost as to what else can be done. I feel like I have done everything over the past seven years to get better and cope.

I am just so tired of fighting and am scared of what will happen to my body, and health if this continues. My Dr mentioned going back to my Psychologist and I am scared to have to go back. It has almost been 12 months in December since finishing my ED Program and I just feel like I have failed.

So that said.... Does anyone out there have any coping strategies they find works? I know everyone is different and different things work for different people, but I am willing to try anything Smiley Happy

Re: One Eating Disorder to another.

Hey little angel

If you are scared of going back to your psychologist maybe try approaching a different psychologist so that you are able to discuss with a professional how you are feeling and what has and hasn’t worked so you can work out a way to move forward.

There is absolutely no reason for you to feel as though you have failed as there are no quick fixes, it will take time and perseverance (which you seem to have plenty of by not giving up and looking for strategies to cope!) .

I tend to binge every now and again but the way I control it is by making sure only to buy healthy and whole foods when I’m at the supermarket for my weekly grocery run with only one snack which usually ends up being tim tams! In this way I eat healthy and have a tim tam as a small reward Smiley Happy

Hope to hear back from you soon, all the best!

Hi LittleAngel… welcome to the Reach Out forums and thank you for sharing with us. Smiley Happy

I like michine's advice up there. And the point about there being no reason to feel like you failed is a good one. There is no success / failure in this; it's about getting better and that's all. I doubt your psychologist is going to see this as a failure; you're coming back with a different problem this time.

As for coping strategies, as we say on this page — http://au.reachout.com/What-is-coping — usually the best coping strategies are the ones that play to your particular strengths. Think about the things that you're good at and maybe there's a way that you can apply that to helping you handle this current problem.

As always, stay strong, be patient, and trust those around you to help you along. Smiley Happy

Be sure to keep us updated on how you progress!

You are so brave for coming on here and speaking about your troubles Littleangel and you should feel proud of yourself for that, not many people can do that. It's terrible what you have been through and it must have been so difficult and now you are trying to get better and it is still difficult. Going through that and asking for more help is a powerful thing you are a very strong person and yes you must be tired of fighting but I think you are strong enough to keep going and to keep trying to better yourself. 

There are a few coping strategies on here and maybe one of them might work for you http://au.reachout.com/Building-better-coping-skills and I also think reading this http://au.reachout.com/All-about-confidence will encourage you to have self confidence. 

There is no such thing as a quick fix and it takes time, dedication, perservearance (i think thats how you spell it?) and I think you can do this Smiley Happy 

Please take care of yourself. 

Divert this thinking and take up exercise, eat to fuel your body and exercise as that releases endorphins and makes you feel good about yourself and so it should, exercise is great Smiley Happy I recommend joining a team sport and make some friends through that process Smiley Happy I'm doing my personal training course if you want to chat about healthy lifestyles Smiley Happy

Littleangel - just wondering how things are going? Did you go back to your psych or a different one? I hope you are making some steps towards feeling better, we're here to have a chat if you're around.