cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parents going away for the weekend

Hello everyone, I just wanted to air out how sad and tearful I am right now because my parents are going to be away for 2 nights this coming weekend, and even though that's only a brief holiday,  excites me and is another opportunity to step up my independence, at the same time, it somehow makes me feel kind of empty and flat inside as well just to know that now. I really want to cope the best I can while they're away, because while I'll be at both my grandmas' houses and travelling independently most of the time, I'm still going to miss them like hell, especially at night-time when there's nothing else to do. 

Re: Parents going away for the weekend

@Matty D I think it is normal to miss your parents even if they are only going away on a small trip
Can you plan some things to help you cope during the time they are gone?

Get to know each other more in our monthly Introduce Yourself HERE!

We updated our guidelines! Check them out HERE!
Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Well, I can look at photos of 

them, think of all the fun things I’m gonna be doing during this time, and of course, if need be, a relieving cry to make me feel a little better.

Hey @Matty D, it sucks that you feel sad over your parents leaving, and I think a lot of people can relate to that. Besides what @Bee has suggested, it might also help to try see the silver lining of this situation? For example, are there things you can do that you usually can't when your parents are away? (e.g. playing music super loud, eating snacks) It might also be helpful to maybe invite a friend over so you can have something to look forward to for the weekend.

Well, sorry to say this, or if I’m being dismissive of your ideas, but the thing is, I don’t like playing loud music at night, because I like it quiet so I can sleep better, and I like to steer clear of having anything to eat at night as it interrupts my sleep, and both my parents are taking the car, so there’ll be no way I can have my friend over (I only like having him over in the daytime anyway), and besides, that too means I can get a better sleep. I’ll just have to take as much care of myself as possible when night-time comes.

Hi @Matty D 

You have posted some great sleeping-well tips here. The photos are a good idea too! Smiley Happy

Do you have any favourite TV shows or movies?

Did you know we have new Community Guidelines? You can check them out here

Hi @Matty D, no worries at all. They were just suggestions and I'm glad that you've found your own ways of caring for yourself during the night time. 

No, not really, I don’t mind which ones I watch.

@Matty D I hope you have a great weekend regardless Smiley Happy It can be upsetting when parents go away for even one night, it's great that you have ideas and know what you can do that will help you.

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

I will, thank you. I 100% agree with feeling upset about this some of the time, and this time they’ll be away for 2 nights, which somehow gives me these mixed feelings of sadness and excitement both at the same time.