cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Parents going away for the weekend

@Matty D personally I have struggled with anxiety myself so I can understand feeling worried about little things. I don't think its pointless worrying over things, but if you feel like its impacting your life it might be beneficial to talk to a gp 🙂

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

@Matty D I don’t think you’re coming across as being dismissive. Smiley Happy Whether you tell your gp or not is completely up to you. Ultimately you know yourself best, and what strategies are going to help. You have mentioned your psychiatrist a few times as well, so you do have some professional support as well.

Sorry about the situation with your mum @Matty D. How do you feel now that a little time has passed?

With regards to your second question, the answer really depends on how you look at the situation. In one person’s eyes, being anxious about a given situation might seem a non-issue or pointless. However, that does not mean that someone else’s anxiety about the same (possibly already-resolved) situation is invalid. We are all different, and so I don’t necessarily believe it is pointless to be anxious about an already-resolved situation.

I don’t know how much this helps, but I would recommend you bring this up with your psychiatrist, as they would know you much better than we do, as well as being more qualified to answer that question in a way that will be helpful for you. ❤️

@Matty D I wasn't aware you were linked in with a psychiatrist, that's awesome Smiley Happy
How do you find them?
That is totally fine that you don't feel like talking to your GP about the thoughts, you've mentioned that you are fighting them as best as you can / you see fit, which is good! Smiley Happy
It is also awesome that you find venting and airing your feelings help sometimes Smiley Happy Sometimes just having someone listen is all we need sometimes, hey? Sometimes I find journalling is good for the things that I'm not quite ready to bring up with my health team, but that I need to get out and isn't appropriate for RO (for me that may be med details or specific things related to case)

I can kind of see why you may be feeling a bit reluctant to bring up the thought/feeling of anxiety over already resolved things.
Firstly I want to share my input about the question itself. I agree with @mrmusic that one persons view may be totally different to anothers'. So while person a might still feel anxious about an issue that was resolved person b may feel like the resolution was ok and doesn't feel anxious. And as always each view is valid. And that's the thing about mental health which can be tricky is it's so unique to each individual, but it is also what makes humans such interesting creatures Smiley Happy
For me if I was still feeling anxious about something after a resolution I would be asking myself why I feel anxious about it. Is it that I'm not happy with the resolution or did something else happen that worries me, or it could be anxiety over it happening again. These are just a few. So there could be a lot of variables in why I may feel anxious. Does this help?

In regards to telling the psychiatrist about this, I can kind of see how you may be reluctant to tell them. But remember that their job ultimately is to help you find well-being and stay well. So it may be worthwhile bringing up at some point. I guess it depends on the relationship you have with your psychiatrist and your treatment plan.
So for me I'm on medication for my mental illness. My psychiatrist was considering adding another medication in the second last time I saw her, and she wanted me to think about it as I was a bit hesitant. When I saw her last time and we had a chat she decided that it was best to hold off on adding another medication. The decision came up as I told her how things at home had been more stressful in the last month and other things like my surgery are coming up and there was a lot going on. So in this instance her knowing other information about my daily life, how I was feeling and coping enabled her to make the best medical decision she could for me, and it's also one I'm quite happy with.

I think what @mrmusic was saying (and I could be off, so I'll ask mrmusic to verify, but this is how I have interpreted it) by your psychiatrist knowing you better than us at RO, is that they know you personally and know your case and personal details where as we are RO don't due to the forum guidelines and privacy to keep the forums safe and anonymous.
As always in saying that, we're not saying that you stop stop asking people here, if you want peer opinions this is a great place to come Smiley Happy

I hope what I have said is relevant and helpful for you. And I hope I haven't babbled on too much Smiley Tongue

@Matty D That is totally okay Smiley Happy
It is always up to you how much you share of yourself with anyone Smiley Happy
I'm glad some has helped.

My main idea in sharing a bit about my relationship with my psychiatrist was to convey the many different relationships they have with clients and how diverse their role can be. So absolutely no pressure! You do what works best for you!

Also I'm glad you've spoken to your mum about it, the more I'm talking with you the more it sounds like you have a really strong bond with her, would you agree? Smiley Happy