cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help.

Hi All.

I've been speaking with a few different people about my anxiety which is a big step, and I have Reach Out to thank for it Smiley Happy.

Unfortunately, as much as it has been helping I am still struggling.  After discussions with my fiance and close friend, I am thinking maybe a trial of medication to see if it will help along with seeing a counselor. The only issue is I haven't really spoken to my GP about it, only briefly as I needed a medical certificate for a university extension. I don't want her to think that I haven't been trying to work through it and that I only want the medication. 

How do I talk to her about it?

Am I doing the right thing? 

Thank you in advance.

Re: Please Help.

Hi @JStruggle,

Thank you for sending a message to let us know how you are going. It's great to see that you are taking steps to support your wellbeing and have spoken to those close to you about your experiences with anxiety. To address some of your questions, being open to professional support is a really big step, and you are definitely doing the right things by continuing with counselling and speaking to your GP about your options. 

Speaking to your GP is a great starting point if you are considering medication or any other treatments. They will be able to give you more advice and work out a plan for you considering all your options. I can understand that having this conversation may be daunting, but they are there to support your wellbeing and your choices. 

Do you have a good relationship with your GP?

@Jess1-RO I do. She is the first GP I've been to that takes the time to talk things through properly. I suppose that's another reason I've made the appointment to see her. Just not very good with talking about it Smiley Indifferent

Hey @JStruggle, I’m glad you have a good relationship with your GP, and it sounds like she is always willing to listen to your concerns carefully. You have already made the appointment which is great!

It sounds like she has some idea of your mental health issues, so what I would say is just to be completely honest with her, and be yourself. If you’re struggling with words, just tell her that. If you don’t mind me asking, what are you hoping to get out of the appointment?

There are a number of strategies that you can use to tackle mental health issues and medication is one of them. Whilst I completely understand the thought of not wanting to rely solely on medication, it is not a bad thing either (as you seem to understand through the conversation with your fiancé and close friend). I think this is another thing you could explore with your GP during the appointment, some of the different strategies that you could benefit from.

It sounds like you are very self aware, which is good as this will help give you some clarity throughout this journey. Please keep seeking out support, as you are doing such a good job already. Sending lots of love your way. ❤️

@mrmusic I guess im looking for something else to try. Another person to talk to and maybe something else to try. 

Honestly without reach out I would be back in a really dark place.

Thank you Heart

Hi @JStruggle

If you're starting a medication, definitely talk to your counsellor/psychologist/doctor about it. But if you have already consulted with your psychologist, there wouldn't a need to talk to your doctor. Sure letting them know is nice so they are in the loop and understand what's been going on. Other than that, both psychologists and doctors are health professionals and are very qualified so letting one of them know should be enough. 

Hey @JStruggle, well your GP would be a great person to help you explore different options! There are also a variety of health professionals that she could refer you to - RO has a factsheet about this here. I think it’s great that you are exploring these options and being so proactive about managing your anxiety - well done!

Regarding medication, my understanding is that this is something which is managed by doctors and psychiatrists, so whilst it might be a good idea to keep a counsellor or psychologist informed about the situation, I don’t believe they are actually qualified to provide advice.

Please let us know how you get on. ❤️

Hey there @JStruggle, how is it going?

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

@N1ghtW1ng

Going well. I broke down in tears talking to my GP. She agreed that trying medication is a good idea. Have been taking them for 3 days now. Few side effects but they are manageable. 

Thank you everyone for caring ♡

@JStruggle it's awesome that you were able to talk to your GP Heart side effects suck - hopefully they clear up soon Smiley Happy