cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Please help people who are sending help signals...

This week, I got a friend who just left a message and disappeared, and that really freaks me out because she had depression for quite a while. And thankfully, she appeared before I called the police and nothing very bad happened. 

She told me that her family does not allow her to see the counsellor or psychologist because they think it's a waste of money and they don't want to having a daughter being labelled with depression. 

I am not a close friend with her, I think we are just more familiar than normal classmates. It might be confused why she seek help for me, not her close friend. Well... When I was looking for her (when she disappeared), I contacted her close friend and told her the situation. Her friend's reactions (I would called her A here) were like "okay, it happens again", "what did she do this time? why did she do this again?". It sounds very impatient for me. My friend also told me that A was annoying with her depression, A would not listened to her recently, and just told her to be happy and then ignored her messages. 

That's really distressing for a person with depression. I was wondering what if I did not see the message and replied to her, which made her feel unwanted and uncared by everyone. So I would like to say please don't ignore these help signals, even a few sentences from you can mean a lot for them. 

Hope this make sense Smiley Sad

Highlighted

Re: Please help people who are sending help signals...

Oh wow @Macaria I can totally understand why this situation was distressing for you. It sounds like this person went to you because they could sense that you're a caring person. Thank goodness for people like you Heart I hope you're feeling okay, I can imagine this situation brought up some feelings for you. Let us know if  you need to chat through this some more!

Highlighted

It must have been so worrying when your friend disappeared @Macaria. Smiley Sad I'm glad that she came back and nothing bad happened to her. It's sad what she's been going through with her family, but I'm glad that you were able to be there for her. You sound so caring. She's lucky to have you in her life, even if you're not a close friend. Heart
Would you and your friend be open to putting together a safety plan for her? Beyond Blue has a helpful resource for this.

Highlighted

@Macaria Hi, your friend is so lucky to have you around! You've done such a great job supporting them, and it must've been difficult to go through as well. We're here for you if you need more support Heart

Highlighted

I'm very thankful that the universe has good people like you @Macaria ! You are very strong and caring, and this post sheds a lot of light and may help others to see signals that they may have be unaware are signals Heart

Highlighted

Thank you for sharing @Macaria. Sounds like you're truly someone who cares for others and shows genuine concern for the wellbeing of your friends, even those you are not particularly close to. I can imagine it must have been a stressful time especially after hearing little concern from "A" and being aware of your friend's struggles with depression. Your friend is very lucky to have someone caring and understanding, I'm sure it means a lot to her. If you want to talk about this more, we are always here to listen and help Heart 

Highlighted

Hi guys! I'm fine with that right now and I just felt a little bit sad at that time. I think I have the abilities to recovery quickly from these experiences now since I was often put in a similar situation. (thankfully nothing happens, otherwise I will feel really really bad)

I don't know why there are quite a lot people surrounding me experiencing some tough times. I post this thread because I had a close friend and his classmate did the same thing (like leaving a message and asking for help). And unfortunately, bad thing happened. 

My friend total me that she would feel a little bit better and hopeful, and she was cared by people in the world if anyone could rely her message at that time. So basically I just wanna tell people please don't ignore those help signals asked from others, it might be a life 

Highlighted

Thank you @Macaria for spreading such an important message, we must look after each other Heart