cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: TW: Self harm, getting help

I have been self harming a lot but its leading up to nightmares and suicidal thoughts I have told my boyfriend that if he feels that I am not safe to myself than to call the ambulance but I don't know what to do other than that

hi @dragon3
have you got some professional supports? Self harm can be managed (even though it might seem impossible) but i am someone who was self harming more than a few times a day often needing medical treatment but now that ive learn why i self harm, and methods to help with coping with it i barely self harm. it has taken a year to get to this point however its not a race and takes lots of practice.

theres a few threads i think may benefit you but ill put them into another post for you
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

please remember you also have helplines such as kidshelpline and headspace who are there for you to talk to as well if you need or when your urges come up

Hey there @dragon3 and welcome to the forums,

Well done on reaching out to your boyfriend! Reaching out to those around us can be a difficult, but rewarding step. As you've mentioned self-harm and suicidal thoughts, can you confirm if you're safe? 

As @scared01 has mentioned already, helplines can be a great place to start if you're unsure about where to go next for professional supports. KidsHelpLine and Lifeline have both over the phone and online chat services that you can use if you're feeling unsafe. 

Another thing that can be helpful in coping with self harm or suicidal thoughts is having a safety plan, which is a plan that you can follow when you're feeling unsafe. It includes contacts, coping strategies and more. Beyond Blue has a fantastic service that can guide you through making a safety plan over here, you can also download the app onto your phone here. What do you think? 

-----

I am finishing with ReachOut this week, say good-bye here. I'll miss you all!

I do but every time it happens it either because of my family or drama at
school and at the moment I cant take much more of it I already want to bash
one of my boyfriends ex's cause of what she's been saying and on Monday
what my father said and how he said made me upset and angry so at the point
I I didn't want to live anymore I said some of the suicidal thoughts to my
boyfriend especially one that I have attempted to do before but didn't

I cant really confirm if I am safe but because I have attempted to kill my
self once but stop I don't think I am and I have tried professional help
but it didn't work. I have been self harming since year 10

Hey there @dragon3

It's important that if you are feeling unsafe or in danger of hurting yourself that you contact a helpline such as Suicide Callback ServiceLifeline or emergency on 000.

When talking about suicide on the forums, it's important that you confirm if you are safe or what you are doing to maintain safety (such as talking to your boyfriend, as you did at the start of the thread Smiley Happy), you can read more about talking safely about suicide in this thread here. I also edited out the details of self harm as it is against our guidelines (here) to describe the details. 

It's great that you're able to be open with your boyfriend about your feelings. Is trying professional help again something you'd consider? It's okay when a professional isn't the right fit or unhelpful for you, sometimes it can take time to find the right person that really helps. 

I was also wondering if you'd had a look at Beyond Blue's safety planning service, perhaps it is something you could do with your boyfriend, what do you think? 

-----

I am finishing with ReachOut this week, say good-bye here. I'll miss you all!

yes thanks you and I never really know if I am that's why told my boyfriend
if it happens again and you think I am going to be harmful to myself than
call the police or ambulance and I don't think it will work I mainly talk
to one of my friends mum because her son has the some thing as me only more
worse but his getting better and I am glad I didn't do it cause than I
would have meet my boyfriend

do you have any supports? @dragon3
other family, professional help?