cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: desperate need of support

Hey. I’m not an expert but just thought someone with similar experiences could help you to realise that you are not alone. My mum’s partner which I have known for about 10 years now has always been emotionally and verbally abusive towards me. Since I have gotten older, he has gotten worse and I’ve actually never written on a forum before until today because of what happened. I really don’t know where I have gone wrong but he calls me every name under the sun, belittles all of my achievements and basically will do anything to bring me down. Now, I can’t relate to some of the other issues you have mentioned but I thought I would still share this anyway. You are not alone and although I don’t even know who you are, I believe in you and you are strong enough to push through this pain. Thankyou for sharing your situation. It helps others in ways you wouldn’t even begin to understand x

Hey @Beaharvey

First of all I would like to welcome you to the ReachOut community! It's really great to have you hear, and we really appreciate you being so brave to share your support and thoughts on this issue. 

I just wanted to double check that you're doing ok right now. You mentioned that you've been experiencing some very difficult stuff with your mum's partner for quite a while. How are you coping? Do you feel safe at home and around him? I also just wanted to know if you've ever told an adult before, like a teacher or doctor or anything like that?

I would really, really like to recommend that you take a look at some of the resources Gina mentioned in their post above, as they could also be helpful to you and your situation. 
Sending my support Heart

Hey,
Thanks for reaching out. I’m doing better as I have some friends who have taken me out to get away from home and are always super supportive. I don’t really tell any other adults cause it always causes more drama which results in a lot more stress. However, I try to ignore his negativity and focus on the positives. I still don’t feel safe at home though knowing he will lash out at me and say horrible things about me. For now, I’ve decided to move out with some friends to escape it. I don’t know when I will go back home but I guess I’ll find out soon.

Thankyou

Sent from my iPhone

Hey @Beaharvey  , great to hear you have such good friends supporting you.

You've said you don't want to tell other adults - does your mum hear any of this happening though? Do you ever speak to her about what's going on? 

Moving out with friends sounds like a wise thing to do  - is it sustainable for you to do that? 

A few other places you can get annonymous and free support are: 

1800respect on 1800 737 732

and blueknot on 1300 657 380

@lilyjohhnson  how are you going this week? 

Hello again,

My mum knows because he does the same thing to her to. Although she doesn’t say it, I think she wants to leave the relationship but can’t because of financial reasons. A few of my family members know small amounts of his behaviour but they have never seen it in person and don’t really understand how hard it is to live with. For a while last year, I completely lost myself and couldn’t cope with life because of it. I can’t escape it completely and it’s tearing me apart. I want home to be my happy place and not somewhere where I had to pretend to get along with my Mum’s partner for the sake of my younger brother or feel so uncomfortable to the point where I get so anxious. I just want to be me again - the person I am with my friends and the people who don’t bring me down.

Sent from my iPhone

Hey again @Beaharvey  , that does make it really tough that your mum also experiences the same  and feels stuck. 

I would really recommend you chatting to someone at 1800 respect about this on 1800 737 732 - they might be able to help you and your mum , and look at ways to make your home a safer place for everyone. 

We also have some info over here that might provide you with some support. 

Heart

I'm also just going to move your posts to their own thread Smiley Happy