cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Reaching out to anyone with OCD or anxiety

Hey @Pariscat16

It is so good to hear from you again on the Reach Out forums. I think its great you are taking initiative and seeking help. In terms of what CBT is I am not qualified but I am studying psychology at university, and I have used CBT to help with my OCD.

@DruidChild gave a pretty top-notch definition of CBT. In my case, I started to recognise the way I felt when I didn't dust my desk (that was my issue at the time), I accepted that thats how I felt and over time I learnt to change the way I thought about dust on my desk. I am not saying it happened over night, but with effort and dedication it worked! 

In terms of the exposure therapy, I guarantee that the psychologist won't make you do that until they think you are ready. But the videos online you see of exposure therapy are not how its going to be. I know there was a video circulating a little bit ago, about a woman who was terrified of peaches. And they filmed her exposure thearpy to peaches in front of a live audience. And if you psychologist wants to put you on live TV to do exposure therapy. I'd find a new psychologist! haha!

Also, on a side note. You like neo-classical?! That is my favourite style too!!! I am actually a dance teacher, so I'd love to have a chat about dance if you wanted to one day!

Hope to hear from you soon Heart

Hi, again @DruidChild

Thanks for your help there has been so much on my mind recently one thing that I did not mention about my OCD is the fact that I restrict myself from doing things. I'm not sure if this is still OCD or something else but for example, there are certain words I can't say, certain colours I can't touch, even clothes I can't wear. I'm not sure if this is OCD and is part of the fear. Do you know? 

Have you ever been on medication if so what was it like and what were the side effects? 

Do you know much about personality disorders? I have thought about them a lot I feel like I probably have BPD or avoidant personality disorder because when I think about it I am very socially anxious about things like getting judged, people being mean and I always feel like people are talking about me or watching me. I think because of this I don't really like having friends and like being alone which other people do not understand. Do you have any insights to this? 

Heart Thanks

hey @Karinaskii,

Thanks for the insight about CBT that was really helpful I really needed to know about different types of treatment. Smiley Happy

Hey @Pariscat16. How have things been for you over the last few days? I hope everything's been okay at home and at school. 

I can hear how much is in your head right now Smiley Sad Yes, what you've described does sound like it could be a part of OCD - obsessions can centre around anything, including colours or clothes, and when you feel like a ritual will stop you being harmed by the obsession, that's a compulsion. At least that's my understanding Smiley Happy I've had OCD things where I felt like I couldn't feel or think certain things and if I did it meant I was a bad person. 

Yeah, I've been on several different medications and I'm medicated at the moment. One of our community guidelines is that we can't talk about specific medications, and different medications will have different side effects. What I can tell you is that medication works really well for some people in managing mental illness; sometimes it can take a while to get the right one, so you just need to work with your GP or psychiatrist etc to figure it out.

I know a fair amount about personality disorders, in fact I'm looking into whether I might have one, so if you have specific questions feel free to hit me with them Smiley Happy Those symptoms sound really distressing...have you found anything that helps you manage those fears and feelings? Social anxiety and feeling lonely are symptoms of many different mental illnesses and you'd need to chat to a professional for better insight into what's happening for you. 

Here for you Heart

Hi, @DruidChild,

The past few days have been alright but sometimes I feel as if I wish I could just go to sleep and never wake up again. I would never have to worry about anything or get stressed over the tiniest things that other people don't understand. It is actually the holidays at the moment so I don't have to go to school. 

Personality disorders are not talked about that much but I don't know if I'm more schizoid personality disorder or avoidant personality disorder or maybe even a bit a both because I have a lot of social anxiety, the fear of making a fool of myself and other things like always feeling like people are looking at me which leads me to be socially isolated this is more related to avoidant personality disorder.

But then I don't really like having friends, if you saw me at school you would definitely think I was a loner and I am like that because I do like being alone, I also have very few friends and at school, I only have one friend and I'm not going to lie it might sound mean but I actually like it when she is not at school and I can be alone. All of this is more schizoid personality disorder. 

Maybe I have both personality disorders and all of this is just a combination of the two. 

But then lots of the things I have been feeling like the anxiety and sadness, the low-self esteem and what I explained before all sounds like BPD. 

I am really stuck and I don't know what this is anymore I wish I could just get a 100% answer from the doctor of what I have.

I am glad you are here because I have never felt that I could talk about this at home my family just takes mental health disorders as not really a problem and something that you should work through yourself without professional help but I just can't live another day like that and never knowing if or what is wrong .

ThanksHeart 

Hey @Pariscat16 wow you are super knowledgable on all the different personality disorders. I am sorry to hear this is really playing on your mind and feeling a bit up in the air. You are spot on though, this is something that definitely needs to be unpacked with a Psych.

Am I right that  schizoid personality disorder is a disorder we don't know much about as yet? Can you tell me a bit about it? Super interesting (only if you're up for it!).

Touching in on your anxiety, sadness, low self esteem etc. Which strategies have you found makes those emotions a little less consuming? Is it being able to have some time to yourself? Being at home? Hope you're doing okay.

Hey @Pariscat16

Oh, of course! What have you been up to these holidays, any knitting or crafty stuff? 

I hear you about the wanting to go to sleep and not wake up. I get that too, sometimes, so I know that it can be a horrible, tough feeling to deal with. Is there anything in your life that makes you want to wake up? Things that you really love to do or dreams about the future, maybe? 

Wow! I agree with @Bree-RO, your knowledge of personality disorders is seriously impressive! Good on you for taking the initiative to do that research, and for being so self aware. And I agree with you both, it's definitely something to talk to a psych or doctor about so they can support you. What has helped in the past when you're dealing with those feelings of sadness and low self esteem? 

I'm glad you are here reaching out for support; that's a really brave thing to do. We're all here to chat to you and support you Heart

Hi, @Bree-RO

Schizoid personality disorder is a bit like avoidant personality disorder they have similarities like social isolation. But the difference is that someone with schizoid personality disorder does not enjoy having friends or sometimes family relationships but in avoidant personality disorder they generally do want to have friends but they are so shy and fear embarrassment that they end up not having friends. People with schizoid personality disorder are generally considered as loners because they don't have friends or they don't want to have friends, and they are quite emotionally cold and can seem detached from life. They can also have or seem to have a limited arrange of feelings and they generally are indifference to praise. This personality disorder is caused by if a parent or other relative has it and also say if you had a parent who was neglectful or did not seem to really be part of the family by that I mean they would be very cold to people around them. 

I'm pretty sure that most personality disorders are not curable but people do take medication and do therapy sessions which have said to help a lot.

That's pretty much all I know. 

ThanksSmiley Happy 

Highlighted

Hey, @DruidChild,

Mostly I don't really know what to do when I have those feelings sometimes when I have panic attacks I like going for a walk or doing something to try to distract my mind. There are some things that I look forward to in the future like the day when I actually can get help from a doctor for all this stuff that has been going on but I do like to think about finishing school even though I am still like 5 or 6 years away from that and I do have dreams for the future like jobs and moving to a different country but sometimes you just have those days where you really could not care any less and just want to be able to feel free for once.

One thing I forgot to mention in my latest post to you is that I wondered if you ever feel that you don't want to get better from your mental illness. I don't know if that might seem strange but to me, I almost feel scared about not living with OCD because I remind me of when I did not have OCD and that was when the thing I fear most did happen. what do you think? 

A couple of days ago my mum and dad mentioned that we might move to Cairns next year because my dad got a job offer there but the problem is that everyone in my family is really keen on going except me like there are some things that my mum has to consider but I really feel so scared about moving away and starting again. I have never lived in a place other than I do now and I love my school because it is the right school for me and for once I actually like school and that is really the only thing that is keeping me alive is that if I do well in my school then I can do what I want to do when I am older. I am the type of person who can't just go to any school when my parents were looking for what high school I would go to they had to think really carefully about where I went because otherwise if it is not the right school for me then I fall into depression and back into anorexia. The another thing is that the only friend I have at school is the only person apart from you that knows about my OCD even though she is not very stable herself she is the only person I can talk to about anything and if I left her and went to a new school I would have no one and I think that would have a big effect on me. I also am not good at making friends like I just don't make them so when my mum said you will make new friends it really makes me feel sad because I know I won't. 

every time I think about this it just makes me start crying and I don't think my family knows how much it would mean to me in a bad way if we moved to Cairns.  

Sorry if this is too much in one go but I just really needed to tell someone.

Thanks Heart 

Hey @Pariscat16 i just wanted to chime in about Personality Disorders not being Curable. Cured is a tricky term and it's something that a lot of clinicians never use when it comes to any kind of mental illness. So most disorders are not cured, but they are treatable and recovery is possible.  So there's lots of hope out there and life can be more awesome Smiley Happy