cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Reaching out to anyone with OCD or anxiety

@Pariscat16 thanks for the update! It certainly can be really complicated sometimes Smiley Sad those worries about how parents will react to self-harm/suicide are totally normal, but ultimately most mums only want the best for their children, so it's awesome that she's being supportive Heart being honest was definitely the right thing to do too - it means that the school now understand what kind of support you need in order to feel better. Is there anything we can do to help in the meantime? Smiley Happy

Hey @Pariscat16

Thanks for those couple of updates, and wow! It's super awesome that you were able to talk to your school counsellor, I'm so proud of you!! Talking to someone is often an important step towards recovery Smiley Very Happy

I understand that desire to self harm, but you don't need to hurt yourself, I promise...if you're finding it hard to communicate, maybe some good distractions could be drawing, writing a letter (that you don't have to send!), or making a playlist of songs about how you're feeling. 

It was super brave of you to tell the counsellor about your thoughts of suicide; that can be a really hard thing to do and I can see how strong you must be by doing that Heart It is really scary when a parent finds out about these things, I've been through a similar process and had a similar reaction. But it sounds like your mum wasn't angry? How did you feel about her reaction? 

I know the mental health plan seems like a complicated way to get help, but it usually works out well and reasonably simply...the first step if just to go to your gp...they have done lots of mental health care plans before and they will tell you what you need to do to get the help you need. 

How are things going for you today? Stay safe, we're here if you need us HeartHeartHeart

Hi @DruidChild,

Things have just been so complicated lately with life. The friend I have been talking about recently yesterday things got intense. My friend went away to a scout camp and it was actually really good because I didn't have to see her for 5 days, which in that time I was able to hang by my self and talk to people I would'nt of been aloud to talk to with her. But after she came back it all went a bit strange. Normally every morning she texts and says to text her when I am at the tram stop so she can walk with me, and if I don't reply she will ring me like literally 7 times in a row and if I don't answer she will be all anoid at me that day. But she didn't text me or call me at all so I thought that was strange. This same thing happened the next day too and so then I was thinking ok maybe she has caught on to me that I was really ready to leave her. 

The first day she didn't text me she came to school telling me she had a cold so being me I was really trying to keep away from her because of everything with OCD. The next day I was talking to someone who used to be friends with the girl I have been friends with and she was telling me that the girl I am friends with said to her that she doesn't want to be friends with me because I have too many problems in my life and that I was self-harming for attention. which really got me mad and upset because she has no idea about me and if she thinks I have too many problems then why did she become friends with me in the first place and also to say that I was self-harming for attention is something so ofensive to me that I decided that I didn't care if she told everyone my secrets but I am not being friends with someone who says that about me. 

One of the girls in the other classes at school talked to this girl about how she was hurting me by what she has been saying but after class I bumped into her and my friend had a go at me a said that she didn't care if I was her friend or not and if I wanted to talk to her then don't get other people to do it. I didn't say anything to her but it is hard to talk to her when we are in different classes.

Anyway, I don't know what is going to happen now because she has been ignoring me ever since.  please helpHeart

Hey @Pariscat16, things sound really distressing with your friend acting that way towards you! That's completely out of line on her part, you've done nothing wrong. 

Would you be able to speak to your school counsellor about the situation again, or to your school friend in an older grade? 

It sounds like there are other people in your classes who you might want to talk to and who want to talk to you, you just feel like you're not 'allowed' because of your friend. Is that right? I know it's really difficult to go against what someone else wants, especially when that person gets really mad at you for doing so, but I would still strongly encourage you to keep making connections and being friendly with other people in your classes. It's not up to your friend who you can talk to, that's your choice. 

P.S I believe that you're not self harming for attention. Self harm is a really serious symptom that something's wrong and that you're not well. Besides which, if you are unwell enough to be self harming, then you NEED attention and asking for it would not be a bad thing. Heart

I understand how you feel, I myself have anxiety, depression and a little bit of OCD, It is stressful and on top of that when you start to question who you are going to tell your anxiety can kick in and then you're back to freaking out again.

i wish you the best of luck, and hopefully everyone going through the same thing can work though it. x

@Pariscat16 wrote:

Hi @DruidChild,

Things have just been so complicated lately with life. The friend I have been talking about recently yesterday things got intense. My friend went away to a scout camp and it was actually really good because I didn't have to see her for 5 days, which in that time I was able to hang by my self and talk to people I would'nt of been aloud to talk to with her. But after she came back it all went a bit strange. Normally every morning she texts and says to text her when I am at the tram stop so she can walk with me, and if I don't reply she will ring me like literally 7 times in a row and if I don't answer she will be all anoid at me that day. But she didn't text me or call me at all so I thought that was strange. This same thing happened the next day too and so then I was thinking ok maybe she has caught on to me that I was really ready to leave her. 

The first day she didn't text me she came to school telling me she had a cold so being me I was really trying to keep away from her because of everything with OCD. The next day I was talking to someone who used to be friends with the girl I have been friends with and she was telling me that the girl I am friends with said to her that she doesn't want to be friends with me because I have too many problems in my life and that I was self-harming for attention. which really got me mad and upset because she has no idea about me and if she thinks I have too many problems then why did she become friends with me in the first place and also to say that I was self-harming for attention is something so ofensive to me that I decided that I didn't care if she told everyone my secrets but I am not being friends with someone who says that about me. 

@Pariscat16 wrote:

Hi @DruidChild,

One of the girls in the other classes at school talked to this girl about how she was hurting me by what she has been saying but after class I bumped into her and my friend had a go at me a said that she didn't care if I was her friend or not and if I wanted to talk to her then don't get other people to do it. I didn't say anything to her but it is hard to talk to her when we are in different classes.

Anyway, I don't know what is going to happen now because she has been ignoring me ever since.  please helpHeart

@Pariscat16 wrote:

Hi @DruidChild,

I didn't say anything to her but it is hard to talk to her when we are in different classes.

I hate when people do that. I think it happens a lot more than you think and a lot more than it should. I hope you can work through this without stooping to her level because that was a appendix move and I hope that never happens to you again

Highlighted

Hi @DruidChild@cola@lokifish

I'm really sorry I haven't posted in a while I have just been really low recently and haven't been motivated to do it. Ever since the thing with my friend it has just made me feel down and sad. But the other day she came up to me and said sorry. Me being me I didn't know what to say so I just said that's fine and now she seems to think that we are "friends again and have made up" But I don't think I could ever forgive her for what she said about me and I don't want to be her friend. Everyone tells me to just tell her to go away but I'm too scared to do that and I'm afraid of what might happen if I do. It is almost like if you're stuck in an abusive relationship because you want to leave but you can't.

The other thing that has really been on my mind a lot is the self-harm and yesterday in sports class a group of girls in my year level saw my cuts on my leg and one of them already knows that I self-harm and I heard her tell them what they are and  now I am really afraid that they will tell everyone because they are the type of girls who gossip about everything so once they know everyone will find out eventually. I'm just scared about his because everyone will look t me differently and one day other people will see the cuts too. Then they will tell other people that I have cuts. I just feel that everything is about to go bad with my self-harm. 

I also have been really getting back into my anorexia habits as well I just feel like it. I don't know why. But it is coming back to me. My life seems to be crumbling down on me.

Hey @Pariscat16,

No need to be sorry - it's entirely up to you how often you post or talk on here and there's no judgement at all. Feeling low really does suck so much of your motivation out, doesn't it? 

Can I be suuuuper annoying and ask you a whole bunch of questions? Smiley Tongue How's things going getting that psychologist support in place for you - you mentioned needing to get a mental health plan, how are you doing with that? And, are you talking about how you feel to anyone at the moment (your mum, school counsellor, kids helpline)? 

Also, is there anything happening for you at the moment that you enjoy or that makes you happy? Maybe a project that you're working on, a school subject that you like, a pet...I know that when I'm at my lowest I like to immerse myself in the one or two things that still make me feel okay (mostly watching my favourite tv show haha!). 

I hear how difficult things are with your friend. It sounds extra hard because you have to see her everyday, so you don't really get much of a break! 

It's wonderful how self aware you are to be noticing that you're slipping back into your anorexia coping methods! Do you reckon you could take the next step and talk to someone about better ways to cope? Eating disorders are really, really difficult to deal with and you shouldn't have to do it alone! I wondered if anything from the Butterfly Foundation website could be helpful? They have a helpline as well! https://thebutterflyfoundation.org.au

I'm sorry things are so tough, it's a horrible place to be in - try to remember that sometimes when it feels as though everything is crumbling down, it is actually an opportunity to build things back up even stronger! HeartHeartHeart

@Pariscat16 I'd second @DruidChild's suggestions of trying to find one or two semi-enjoyable things and making time for those. I know when I have a million things going on in my life it can be hard to focus enough to figure out how to even start tackling them! So self-care can be really useful for that. How'd you end up going over the weekend? Heart