cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Reducing Stress

Hey guys the other day I heard something that I would love to share with you all. I found it really helpful advice and I use it all the time now. 

Sometimes people stress about a lot of things but sometimes there are things that are out of your control. So next time you are stressed, stop and ask your self can I control this situation, and if there is nothing you can do then there is no point in stressing. 

Also, do what works for you, some people may like to go for a walk or watch TV or read a book or play games. When you start to feel stressed just take a step back and take a break then come back to it.

Smiley Happy 

Highlighted

Re: Reducing Stress

Lovely @hmm789, thank you for sharing this Smiley Happy
Highlighted

thanks for sharing @hmm789
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**
Highlighted

People with stress don't see it like this, it's actually quite the opposite. 

Them not being able to control the situation is the exact reason why they become stressed. 

Highlighted

@LeoTheLion that's a really good point and I think a lot of people do suffer from what you describe. But sometimes I think being aware that you are stressing over things you literally can't do anything over can help reduce the amount of stress you experience over it or help you manage your stressful thoughts (e.g. stressing won't help so I will choose to concentrate on X instead) so I think this technique can be helpful, it will just vary from situation to situation.

Highlighted

@LeoTheLion I think the precipitating factors behind stress can be highly individual like @DirtWitch said. You're right that for some people it's the lack of control (I know that's often the case with me) but I don't know that it's helpful to generalise about this stuff Smiley Happy

That's fair enough @lokifish @DirtWitch. It's that I don't know anyone who suffers from stress stops stressing after thinking that it's out of their control. I believe that advice rarely help people with stress. 

Highlighted

@LeoTheLion that definitely makes sense! For me it's strange, when I first started learning about coping skills I did not find this strategy helpful at ALL and like you said it actually increased my distress. But weirdly enough as I built up more resilience I've found I've been able to use this technique.