cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

School counsellor

I've been a little sad and kinda stressed lately and my friends have been telling me I have to go to the school counsellor or they will. I'm really scared to cause I don't know what she'll be like. I have a few questions about it.. do they ever tell your parents or teachers or deputy or principal or anyone about your issues? What's it like? Do you have to tell them everything? How do you make an appoitment? Does it help? 

Re: School counsellor

Hey @Drake123455ggg,
I hope you're feeling ok! I'm glad to here you have friends who care that much about you Smiley Happy

For counsellors, the baseline is pretty much that they have to keep most everything confidential (private) unless someone or you is at risk of serious harm. If you want, you can read about confidentiality here: Confidentiality and Under 18 confidentiality. Basically, no one except you and your counsellor would know under any other circumstance.

As for what it's like, it's more like a chat where they ask you questions about what's wrong and see if they can help you. It's like seeing a more casual doctor through conversation instead of physical medicine. 

You don't have to tell them everything if you don't feel you're ready for it yet! That part is completely up to you. If you want to only reveal a little bit of how you're feeling, that's totally ok! If you feel like it's helping you, you can always reveal more bit by bit whenever you want. Solutions don't always have to be solved in one sitting and you're always welcome to go back again and again if you want. 

Appointments most likely vary with different places so I can only give you my experience but I believe you just go to their office and ask if you can make an appointment (sometimes they're immediately available).

Finally, the tricky question: does it help? It definitely differs for everyone since experiences are never the same. It depends on a lot of things and going to talk to a school counsellor is a good first step in tackling any issues you have. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's not exactly a one step process so it may take a couple tries to find the right thing that helps so don't be afraid if it didn't feel like it worked on the first go! Perhaps you might need to go back a couple of times to try other methods, perhaps there are other ways. The important thing is that you can control the outcome and make your own choices. It's more like a nice conversation of recommendations to help you, kind of like what I'm doing now except better Smiley Wink

Good Luck! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Thank you so so much for being so helpful I really appreciate it 

hi @Drake123455ggg

how are you today?

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Good thanks ❤️

thats good @Drake123455ggg Smiley Happy

what are you up to today?

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**