cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Seeing a psychiatrist for the first time, what to expect?

Nice work @Clockwork on going to your appointment!!! theyre always so much better than I expect.

One thing I think will help in the future is (if you're comfortable) try to facilitate conversation/communication between your psychologist and psychiatrist, even if its in the form of written letters that you bring. Of course this can only happen with your consent, but having everyone on the same page is a lot better. 

Remember psychiatrists tend to deal mainly in medication. I know from my own experience and from friends' that once you get going you tend not to see them as often. It's super important you keep them in the loop in what you're feeling in this regard, as medication ~can~ have some bad side effects when you first start, which is why you see them more often.

I read this advice too - don't be afraid to shop around ^-^ some people just dont "gel" well with others, and if you're unhappy with them, they won't get offended if you ask to be referred to a collegue. 

I hope you find it helpful - I'm restarting seeing a psychiatrist soon so this is helping me feel less anxious too~

Hey @Clockwork, just wanted to check in and see how you're going at the moment. Smiley Happy
From memory your appointment is still a couple of weeks away? 

Thanks for all the additonal replies.

Sorry I haven't had a chance to reply until now, I've been a bit busy with studying and exams recently.

I've been a bit up and down the past couple weeks but I'm feeling 'okay' at the moment and I have the appontment this Wednesday so they're kind of a postitive I suppose. Although I am feeling anxious about the psychiatrist appointment and there's a couple things with it that's making me feel really anxious and stressed about it. But I can't really change that so I guess I have to deal with it for the time being.

Thanks again. Smiley Happy

Hey @Clockwork, just wanted to check in and see how you're doing/how the appointment went? Smiley Happy

// Spiral outward, keep going. //
Highlighted

Hey Smiley Happy

It's kind of like a psychologist but your psychiatrist only asks questions around your mental well-being to hopefully get the most sensible medication for you at the time. and you only see your psychiatrist like 1 a month.

You will see your psychiatrist again for re-evaluation or you just see your GP to see if the meds are working.