cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Short Sads

• Lately, my old SH scars have been getting to me. They didn't bother me so much for years, but I suspect that that was because I just ignored them greatly. Now I'm seeing some that I hadn't actually noticed for years. It's painful to think that I'll have this skin for the rest of my life. I wish I could time travel backwards to slap my past self who thought that scarring my body wouldn't matter because I wouldn't be alive to bear the consequences.

• My fear of failure is stopping me from working on an assignment. I never seem to learn!

They are great things @redhead Do you think you can keep all those in mind while you battle these difficult thoughts tonight? What you're experiencing would be really difficult but please remember that the thoughts will pass and there 6 great things to look forward to
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

@j95 glad you're feeling better today and your friend and the doctors tried to help you out. 

@lokifish Moving can be super stressful and change is always hard so it's ok to be feeling a bit stressed out. Having family around can definitely make it harder. Last year myself and my family moved out of my childhood home and I remember it was such a crazy stressful time. Is there some stuff you can do to help manage the stress? Putting some self care strategies in place and seting aside some chill out time might be helpful. Also, maybe write a list out of all the good things that will come with moving and focus on that rather than the stress of the process. Moving can be a bit crazy and there are a lot of things to get done. Would it help you feel more in control if you wrote out a to do list so it's out of your head and you can tick things off as you go and/or write out some kind of schedule or plan for what you are going to do and when? 

@redhead It's great you're able to identify all those good things in your life. Try to focus on those. But also remember, the mental illness monster can strike anyone, no matter how many good things they have in their life, so don't feel bad that you're struggling even though you have good things in your life. 

@Craycray17 That sucks about your missing notes. Uni can be hard work, especially at the semester gets nearer its end. I totally feel you. Don't beat yourself up about having an unproductive day. It happens to everyone and you can still get back on track. Also check in with yourself that it's not your brain trying to tell you that you've been working too hard/ not taking enough time for yourself/ self care is lacking or something like that. 

@peppermintpeony You've probably heard this before, but think of your scars like battle wounds, remnants of a fight, it sounds like you thought you would lose, but are winning now! Everyone has battle scars of some sort and you'd probably be suprised how many people have self inflicted physical ones. I do. Many other people on here do. Many people I know do. It's nothing to be ashamed of. It's just how you coped with a tough time and came out the other side. It's your story and a powerful thing. 

As a fellow student I get how hard assignment motivation can be. Could you break it down into chunks and write some sort of plan so it feels more achievable? Could you develop a reward of some kind for getting parts of it done, then a bigger one for finishing the whole thing? Also try and look forward to how you'll feel once the assignment is done and what it is helping achieve in the longer term. 

Thank you, @Randomness Woman Happy Thinking of them as battle wounds helps sometimes... like if having scars is a cost of survival, I guess it's not a terrible deal?

@peppermintpeony nope, the battle makes you stronger! 

Really need a distraction tonight... Smiley Indifferent

@FootyFan26 What's going on? 

@FootyFan26 Do you have any distraction techniques you can use to help you? 

@FootyFan26 How did you go with distracting yourself last night? How are you doing today?

@Randomness thank you for providing so much awesome support in this thread! Smiley Happy