cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Sibling addicted to meth.

Hi people, this might be quite long but hoping for some advice. I'll start by saying my brother has been on meth for 3 + years now. Its me and him living together in a tiny house. He's so full of rage every single day, expecialy the mornings, the drugs have changed him so much, he's either high and very calm, not high and full of rage or calm but very loopy, kinda going through different moods very rapidly. hes usually "fine" towards me for some reason but I just can't stand being around him. The missery and torture me and my family have been through is rediculous. He's completely gone and I fear far to gone . We have tried so much to help and support but he will not change. My mum has been through so much due to having alot of medical problems and has dealt with my brothers bullshit the most. That is what effects me mostly. The main reason for the post is I'm looking for some advice on wether I should shut him out of my life for my own wellbeing , I don't want to sound selfish but it is now affecting me very negatively. I've notice I'm starting to change as a person and every aspect of my life is being affected. All I want is a peaceful normal life but this will not happen with him in it. I know other people are in similar situations with drug addicted family members and want to send out my love and I sincerely wish the best for you in these hard times. 

Re: Sibling addicted to meth.

Hi @Bubble22, thanks so much for reaching out on here, and I’m really sorry that this is happening to you right now.

I haven’t been through a situation similar to yours, so I can’t really give you too much advice, but I will say that your first priority is to look after yourself. I can see that you have identified the fact you are beginning to change as a person and this concerns me a bit. Have you thought about speaking to a counsellor about your own feelings? I think its important to keep on top of your own mental health during such a stressful situation.

I’m sorry I can’t be of any more help, but I’m sure there are other members who would be able to help you further. I’m around if you need someone to talk to.

Hey @Bubble22, thank you for sharing this story with us. I'm afraid I haven't experienced a similar situation, but I hope I'll still be able to offer you some support.

I'm not sure if you've heard of Family Drug Help, but they have a Sibling Support Service which you may find helpful. Click here to go to their website. Smiley Happy

You definitely don't sound selfish - you're right, it is so, so important for you to take care of yourself, and if the best way for you to do that is to not have him in your life, it's okay for you to acknowledge and act on that.

Do you have any friends or family members you could speak to about how your brother is behaving, and its impact on you?

Look forward to hearing from you.

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

Hey @Bubble22, as with the others - as contradictory as it seems, sometimes to really love and care for someone we need to keep them at arms length. If you don't look after yourself and maintain some boundaries, there's every chance you will end up resenting him and then of course in the long term you won't be able to support him. It's also pretty important for him to learn that his behaviour sends people away, that others respect themselves too much to be treated that way. I know it must be hard watching a different interaction between him and your Mum, but if you begin by keeping your own healthy boundaries I think you've taken a step towards a more positive relationship for both of you.

How are you feeling about this all at the moment?

Hey @Bubble22, I agree with everyone else. Put yourself first and set some boundaries because you also need to look after your own wellbeing and happiness. Just because people are your family members, it doesn’t mean you should excuse their behaviour or put up with it if it is affecting yourself. Easier said than done and it applies to any behaviour.. although it is difficult to do, it is super important for everyone! 🙂
—————————

Whether you think you can or think you can’t, either way you are right.
– Henry Ford