cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sick of anxiety - and the forum community that caused it

{Deleted for privacy reasons, thank you to all whom helped!} Smiley Happy

Re: Sick of anxiety - and the forum community that caused it

I want to respond to this, but I have no idea how to. I'll try anyway. You might not like the answer i have.

I never really played computer games growing up as a kid, and when I did, the people you played against, were always in the same room as you. Nobody was mean to each other, and if they were, they were mean to your face, and you just didn't play with them again, or you knew where you stood.

i got bullied a lot when I was younger playing games, and I was good at most things, so it only made things worse.

When I got older, and I got a computer, I started playing some online games, and commenting on forums. I found it to be ridiculously unhealthy for my personality and my emotional well being. Going online, to a social forum or network, can cure lonliness and boredom, but at a massive cost to yourself as a person. It does nothing for your well being as far as I am concerned. And yet, I join them, and I joined this one. (I just quit one forum I went to everyday yesterday actually.)

I think the problem is, that anyone will say anything, or type anything, that they otherwise would never actually say to you in real life. And that is a huge thing to remember. I call them keyboard warriors. They think because they are anonymous, and hidden behind a handle, that they can be this super-person, that they only dream of being in real life.

The other thing to remember is that its only a game. Even a game of football in real life is only a game, and you should never judge someone for how they play, compared to how they are off the field. Games are meant to be social events, where you feel happy, welcomed, trusted, and even loved. If you aren't, then you need to change teams, or change sports, or do something else that involves being sociable.

My advice would be to find something else to do. You sound like you are ready to quit, I would just go ahead and quit. Playing computer games, and getting emotionally involved in forums, and internet points is not going to get you anywhere in life, and it sounds like it is just causing you massive amounts of grief.

Play music, play sport, join a drama group, read a book, write a book, take up jogging, anything that is actually real, and not just sitting in a dark room with a laptop. Those people are not your friends, they are just lonely and bored like you probably are.

Hey tesla-weapon, 

thanks for the quick response. I guess I'll try that, I've tried it before but I always got pulled back into the game Smiley Sad

Guess I'll try harder. I've had plenty of Kids Helpline sessions and Headspace sessions so they helped, and I might go to a Headspace center soon. I will definitly beat this addiction. I keep switching back to quit and don't quit, but I guess it's going to be "quit" or break for a whole year or something. I do have something that takes my mind off it, so I guess I'll focus on that.

Thanks for your help and you're right. I really appreciate the help Smiley Happy

Hey @Willow 

It does sound like this is casuing you a lot of grief and worry. If disengaging from the game and forum completely helps relieve some of your anxiety it might be a good idea to give it a go.

You can always go back to it if you decide it's worth it.

Hey NigioC,
Yeah, I'm planning on giving it a go as I mentioned to my reply to tesla-weapon. It's not really a easy thing to give up, something you placed so much hope and effort in the past. *sigh*.

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it Smiley Happy

No worries.

Let us know how you go with it. Smiley Happy

Hey Willow,

It sounds like you are really determined to make a go of less gaming and dealing with your anxiety so I really think you're going to get there! Smiley Very Happy

Good luck!!
JD.

Hey @Willow  How are things going? How have you been coping? What sorts of things have you been doing to keep yourself busy?

Thank you tesla-weapon, NigioC and Jay-Dee for your help and support. I'm extremely grateful for your help.

After quite a few sessions with helplines, parents, friends, I've started getting better and not longer is interested in the site. I'll be honest, I didn't quit the site, I continued contributing it under a different username, only when something I was passionate about popped up I would respond. Due to that, my interest soon lessoned (yes!) I've found a new passion and I'm happy doing it. (Writing)

I however, still suffer from anxiety and it was other aspects of life that resulted in it, which lead me to gaming. But I'm dealing with my anxiety pretty well and talk to my friends/family about it. So, it's getting better Smiley Happy

I am forever grateful to you guys, I can't express my graditate. Thank you!

Aww such great news, Willow! I'm really happy for you. What sort of writing are you doing? Is that something you think you'd do as a career?

JD.