cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some issues concerning my mental help but scared to talk to a therapist...

For a while now I've been seeing and hearing stuff (the main reason I'm here right now is because I saw a face and freaked out, that was about half an hour ago and I'm still freaking out), being paranoid and just generally being an emotional disaster. I think getting some help would be a good idea, but I'm really scared. I don't have a good relationship with my parents, or any adult for that matter (being so paranoid has given me trust issues I think) so there's no one I can really ask for help, and I get really anxious speaking on the phone to anyone. I don't want to talk to my friends about this either, because I don't want them to think I'm crazy. Advice?? 

Re: Some issues concerning my mental help but scared to talk to a therapist...

@Briribria welcome to RO. its really brave of you to come here and ask for help, its a good first step.
hearing and seeing things can get really scary and intense, do you have any strategies on how to manage it. i also see and hear things and find keeping busy, distracted and occupied, and using mindfulness helps to keep it at bay and help me cope when it gets bad,

have you ever been to headspace centre, they have people you can see and the best thing about it its free and your parents dont have to get involved. services like headspace, kids helpline, and lifeline also have webchat options if you need more urgent and crisis assistance when using a phone is too hard.

i hope this helps a bit. also feel free to talk about stuff here
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Exactly what @redhead said. I'd also recommend chatting here as much as you want and check out what other young people here have said about paranoia and seeking help in the forums section.

There's a great Tools and Apps section on ReachOut.com I also recommend checking out for a start on mindfulness which can help settle the mind a bit. https://au.reachout.com/tools-and-apps

But I'm wondering what you're already doing to help calm yourself when you get stressed out.

Hello, and thank you for your replies!

When I start to get paranoid, it's usually quite late at night and typically when I'm tired. Because of this, no matter how freaked out I am, I achknowledge that I will fall asleep and there's nothing I can do about it. Sounds rather daunting now that I think about it, but it helps me. I also sleep with my pets in my bed to help me feel less alone, and listen to relaxing music (this tends to be white noise or rain recordings, though certain sounds make the sound hearing thing act up so I have to be careful with that.)

I've never been to a headspace centre as there isn't one close to me, though I will definitely check out headspace as a whole. I kind of made my account here in a fully to get my voice out, but I'll definitely check out some of the other things on here. 

I'll check out mindfullness and give it a shot!

thanks again. 

Hey @Briribria, welcome to Reach Out!
Coming forward and talking openly about your issues is such an amazing thing for you to do and I think it's always a really good way to begin getting support and taking care of yourself.

I don't have a lot of experience with what you've described but there's so many amazing people on here and I'd really recommend having a look around and talking to a few, as so many people here have experiences that have led to insights that they may be able to share with you.

Let me know how everything goes over the next couple of days and if you've managed to make any developments Smiley Happy

You are brave to see what is happening and look for help.  Don't give up.  It does get better.

Highlighted

Its really easy to feel more crazy when noone knows what you are going through.  People are much more supportive than you think they will be.

Good Luck!  

Hey @Briribria sounds like you've got a few solid coping strategies there  - well done!

How have you been over the last few days?

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

Thank you everyone for your replies! I meant to get back earlier, but I was having some connection problems. 

I ended up up speaking to someone online at headspace (woo!) who also suggested mindfulness, so it's definitely something I'll look into when I have the time.