cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Medication

Hellooo Smiley Happy

So after a bunch of appointments with various people I've finally been prescribed two medications. One for depression, and one for sleeping issues. I don't really know what to expect (I kind of do with the sleep meds, it's melatonin and that just makes it easier to get to sleep, right?) so I was wondering if anyone could let me know what to expect/stuff I might need to know.

Thanks Smiley Very Happy

Re: Starting Medication

I'm also going to be starting a new medication.

In the past when I've started anti depressants you usually get some side effects the first week or so as your body adjusts. This includes things like nausea, headaches, trouble sleeping, appetite changes.
Also meds take time to get into your system so give about 4-6 weeks to notice a difference.

I'm also on melatonin. For me it's not really for getting to sleep bit staying asleep. It's a natural hormone so there aren't many side effects. This also can take a while before you notice the full effect.

Do you have regular follow-up with your supports, there's warning on antidepressants that they could make you suicidal. Also keep notes of any changes you notice and bring them up with your professional.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Yeah, thanks @rehead Smiley Happy I'm checking in with my OT this week and my paediatrician in three weeks and my psych at some point in between, so I have good contact if I need it. Haven't noticed any side effects yet, but it's early days. Thanks for the info!

Those are some really good solid suggestions @redhead 

I think that's such a great idea to keep notes, like a diary of how the medication is going. That way  you can actually track the possible side effects to see how effective it is. It does take some time to know how we respond individually doesn't it..

@roseisnotaplant starting a new medication can be a bit scary sometimes. @redhead has given you some great info. It is awesome that you have regular contact with some supports while you are getting used to the medication.

For me melatonin was great, it helped me stay asleep instead of waking every couple hours. Although I'm no longer taking it.

With adjusting to the medication sometimes the side effects can be a real pain in the bum. During this time I like to make sure I'm taking good care of me, things like ensuring I'm eating regular healthy meals, doing some exercise and getting some sunlight helps me. I found if I had taken some antidepressants on an empty stomach I got more nausea than if I didn't, so this might be something to try if that happens.

Hopefully this helps roseisnotaplant Smiley Happy Let us know if you have any other questions Smiley Happy

Get to know each other more in our monthly Introduce Yourself HERE!

We updated our guidelines! Check them out HERE!
Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

@roseisnotaplant just checking in to see how you're going? Smiley Happy

hi @roseisnotaplant how are you going with the medications

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Hey @Bee @scared01! Yeah I think I'm doing well. I haven't had any side effects so that's a start Smiley Tongue I still think it's a bit early to see a difference though, but idk..

thats great @roseisnotaplant Smiley Happy i hope things continue to improve for you. yeah meds can take 4-6 weeks to start ot kick in

how long have you been on them now?

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

@roseisnotaplant that's awesome you're doing well! And even better that there's no nasty side effects. Wooo! I'm so proud of you!!! <3