cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TW: Advice about speaking to my psychiatrist

@lokifish not really. i feel quite bad Smiley Sad had a horrible night sleep and now my thoughts are around Smiley Sad

i need some advice. so im seeing my psychologist this wednesday and we get on but she is the one professional i find it hard to be honest. when she asked if i had any plans, i lied said no but im usually honest about that. i want to write her a note explaining the thoughts,  the voices etc but I feel like she may get concerned and tell mum not to let me go on holidays the next day. i really want to !! i need an escape Smiley Happy and i know if im not allowed to go on holidays i am concerned for my safety so this is a good reason to hold on a little longer. should i tell her anyways or my next session in a 1 1/2 week ?

Re: tw: im over this

Hmmm that's a tricky one @litgym

I do think it'd be good to tell her, just so that she's aware and she's able to help you with some strategies. From my experience, if you can show them that you're wanting to at least try and be safe, they're less likely to take drastic measures. Part of a suicide risk assessment is about intent (being sure of wanting to hurt yourself) and immediacy (how urgently you're likely to hurt yourself) - if they're not there then psychs are generally slightly less concerned about you Smiley Happy

The note sounds like an awesome idea. I do that a lot when I'm struggling to be honest with someone Heart

yeah i know :/ just i don’t know because my khl counsellor is also talking to my case manager today so she might be concerned since tbh i am a pretty risky kid which isn’t great ! im also very impulsive so i could say im safe and 5 minutes later im not. that’s why Mum still doesn’t know if she’ll let me go or not @lokifish

my voices also are tough and i really don’t know and might not have any internet connection while on holidays :/

Hi @litgym,

Definitely second @lokifish's post above- it would be helpful to tell your psych so she can best support you. Good on you for reaching out for advice around speaking to your doctor!

If you let her know that your holiday is something you are looking forward to, that will improve your wellbeing, she may support you going on the holiday. 

I just wanted to let you know I did edit some of the wording of your post around the thoughts of suicide so more people in the community can respond Smiley Happy I would love to hear from other members how they started this discussion with their psychiatrist and whether there are any helpful tips? Do you mind if I make this a new thread litgym - I think your most recent post would be a good new thread for others reading and going through similar things

Did you know we have new Community Guidelines? You can check them out here

i guess you can make it a new thread but it’s so annoying new threads @Jess1-RO

also i want to clarify since you guys are currently changing the guidelines, i am not allowed to say what you edited ? i use to be able so like....now im just getting confused what i am allowed to say and not :/

@litgym if my intel is correct then I believe @Jess1-RO and @gina-RO are working on some resources about this as we speak, which should hopefully clear up the confusion Smiley Happy

Re: TW: Advice about speaking to my psychiatrist

yeah i know it’s just getting all confusing and i never know if im breaking the guidelines or not anymore :/ @lokifish

Hi @litgym,

Thanks litgym for letting us know you've noticed a change in moderation. We don't want you to feel confused or worried about this change - so its best that we give you a heads up about why things are shifting a little in how we moderate the forum. 

The guidelines have always contained info about the way we talk about triggers, but we are looking at being more active with implementing them to keep the forums a safe and supportive space for all people who access ReachOut, including the hundreds of thousands of people reading and not posting Smiley Happy

We do have some new community guidelines coming out in the next month, but these will be more interactive and easier to know how to post to. We hope these new guidelines will help us build community Heart We will be making a post in the next day or two about safe ways of talking about suicide and self harm too - so hopefully a bit more clarity around how we will be moderating posts in tough times moving forward. Until these new resources come out, we will be editing posts that could be triggering or talk about intent for harm. We would also love the support of our community to help us moderate too by reviewing posts and keeping the content strengths focused and safe for all to access Smiley Happy

We are more than happy to answer any questions about moderating 2019- hopefully some new changes will help our community continue to growth and thrive Heart We will also be encouraging our active forums members to follow the lead that litgym and a few of our other active users have taken in developing some fun threads to build community Heart 

Did you know we have new Community Guidelines? You can check them out here

thanks for the explanationSmiley Wink @Jess1-RO

my thoughts are too much Smiley Sad

Hey @litgym,
Sorry to hear that, I know you posted this a while ago but not sure which thread we should use bahaha, (BTW @Jess1-RO thanks fr explaining Smiley Happy ) I'm always here if you need and sending you the biggest of hugs