cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TW: Is this sexual assault? or what would it be classified as?

Hi Guys, I am new to this!

I need some help or advice on my situation, I wouldn't classify it as sexual assault, but I am confused as to what I call it...

Last year I had a very toxic boyfriend and I was trying to get out of the relationship, but I kept telling myself he was a good guy and I didn't go through with breaking up with him. This one time he came up behind me and grabbed me and was hugging me very tightly and I told him to stop because I was uncomfortable, of course he didn't stop, but instead replied with "no, you are mine". At this moment I felt trapped and that I would be stuck in this relationship forever because he was very controlling- and I mean very.

Luckily, I got out of this relationship and we do not speak anymore, although, I see him around most days. This incident especially, has made me lose trust in my loved ones because my brain tells me that if he could do that to me (someone I loved), then others that I love have the ability to do that as well. I am unsure as to what I should classify this... I don't know if it is sexual assault, because he didn't have s*x with me without my consent, or anything extreme like that. So if you could help me out, I would appreciate that, thank you!

Re: TW: Is this sexual assault? or what would it be classified as?

Hello @helloooo11, I am so sorry to hear that this happened to you, and that it has been on your mind lately. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for you when your partner made you feel uncomfortable. It is good to hear that you have been able to separate yourself from him and not be in contact with him. It sounds like this experience has really affected you, as it would anybody, and so I really want to highlight how helpful it would be for you to speak to a professional about what happened. Our community will always be here to support you when you need it, but I think it would be safer for you to disclose this in more detail with a psychologist or other type of mental health worker. 

1800 RESPECT is a helpline that you can call if you wanted to speak to a mental health counsellor trained in sexual assault. You can also try Relationships Australia if you would like to have a chat with a trained counsellor. You might also find it helpful to talk to someone that you trust about what you experienced. Is there anyone that you would feel comfortable talking to? 

Also, there is an article about sexual assault that ReachOut has posted that you might find to be helpful. The article contains supports for sexual assault and provides a definition for sexual assault. Here is a link to the article in case you want to read a bit more about it. I hope that you find these to be helpful. Heart

Thank you @Sophia-RO,
I am currently in the process of looking for a psychologist, so I will certainly talk about this in a session. The articles were helpful too, thank you!

I am glad to hear that you found the article to be helpful and that you are feeling comfortable with the idea of discussing this with your future psychologist @helloooo11. Hopefully you will find sharing your experiences with the psych to be helpful and relieving. I also just wanted to let you know that I have sent you a quick email Heart