cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TW: Self harm, getting help

I want to get help for self harm but aren't sure about how to talk to my psychiatrist about it

Re: TW: Self harm, getting help

hi @purplesummer and welcome

Talking about self harm can be really difficult but i really commend you on wanting to tell her/him.
If its to hard o find the words or to speak, do you think you could write a note even something simple like 'I self harm/ed' and hand it to them?

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**
Highlighted

Hi @purplesummer ! I can definitely understand how you might feel a little uncertain about how to bring this up, its a tough thing to talk about! But I think it's amazing that you've had the courage to get some help Smiley Happy

If you're feeling up to it, something like what @scared01 mentioned seems like a great way to ease into it. Have you seen your psychiatrist for long? Sometimes speaking about it with someone you don't know very well can be difficult! But I think when you feel ready and comfortable it might come more easily. Practicing alone in a safe place might help too, but it is completely fine if you dont feel like doing this Smiley Happy

Hi @purplesummer,

Have you had a chance to see the support from @MochaChino and @scared01? What are your thoughts about talking to your psychiatrist after hearing from other members of our forums?

I also wanted to link you some of ReachOut's resources on self harm which might be really helpful to look through too.

We would love to hear back from you and see how you are going Smiley Happy 

Check out our community activities calendar for November 2019 here

I'm ok!

I read the replies just haven't had time to reply.

I sent an email to my psycharatrist before i made this forum post (also including another topic), so if she hasn't read it ill bring it up during the session and also bring a note

In the meantime, i do have apps contaning coping mechanisms (calm harm and clear fear) so i can know how to deal with any feelings that arise

Thanks for the help @scared01, @MochaChino, and @Jess1-RO!!

@purplesummer It's no problem at all! Always here to help Smiley Happy I think it's amazing that you've found some coping strategies that seem to be working well. I hope your session goes well! Heart

good to hear back from you @purplesummer

we also got some coping strategies threads too if you run out of ideas Smiley Happy

@scared01 @MochaChino @Jess1-RO an update

I told my mum and she took it better than I expected

So now I'm closer to getting help (it was hard thinking of how to tell my psych if my parents didnt know), and have someone I see everyday (only my best friend knew before) that I can tell if things get bas

really glad you have told your mum and are closer to getting more help @purplesummer

Another quick update

Now my doctor and psych know because of my mum, I've had appointments with them both recently, I haven't done anything since!!Cat Tongue