cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

TW: anger

i dont exactly know where to put this but here seems ok.

recently i have noticed that small things get to me slowly over time, and recently a loss has affected me greatly. i am generally ok, but i never have a way to let out pent up anger, sadness and irritation, which after a while, gets to the point where it bursts through, and i sit down and cry. i feel, in these moments, that i need to attack something, but i have no way of letting out aggression, and i am scared of hurting others during these moments. they only last about a day, so i avoid people when they occur. meditation and stuff doesnt work for me, i have tried. i can cope with these moments, but i find them very distressing. this only happens very rarely, but i would like suggestions on how to help them.

Highlighted

Re: TW: anger

Hi @someboi and welcome to ReachOut!

Pent up anger can be a really uncomfortable feeling to sit with, and I am hearing that over time you are finding anger is building up and you may be looking for ways to cope with and release that anger safely. Is that right?

You have mentioned that you have tried some coping strategies such as meditation but that so far it hasn't been helpful. And when you need to, you walk away to make sure that your anger isn't directed at anyone around you- this demonstrates a huge amount of self awareness. Are there any other ways you have found to release the anger safely? (eg: Physical activity, distraction, etc)

Check out our community activities calendar here
Highlighted

Hey @someboi, and welcome to the forums!

I would suggest looking for different things to let out anger. I was told to try boxing, and I found it really useful. Any physical activity is helpful, so I was wondering if you play any sports or anything? I personally am a Basketballer, but boxing or working out at the gym is pretty good too.

I never really found meditation helpful either, and it's against my religion anyway.

What do you think?

Here for you❤
Highlighted

i just go out the back and hit stuff really, but crying helps.

i do gym, which helps, but im injured at the moment so there isnt much i can do

Highlighted

Hey @someboi

I'm really glad to hear that you have found that exercise help you feel better! A lot of people find it helpful to use up their energy with high intensity workouts. By getting rid of that pent up aggression, it can often help you think more clearly later on. It can really suck when we can't use our normal method of coping, and it sounds like you feel a bit stuck because of your injuries. It might be helpful to have a look at some different coping strategies that you can do instead. While it sounds really boring, doing repetitive though complex tasks can allow our brain to have a bit of a time out. This is because our brains find it very difficult to multitask, and so it's really hard to feel emotions and concentrate on something at the same time. 

Some examples of repetitive tasks could be stuff like cooking, drawing, puzzle games, writing lists or driving to name a few. If you can it's often helpful to try and think about the reasons why you're feeling frustrated or angry, and then if you start to feel aggressive or anxious you can go back to the task you were doing before. This lets you think about how you're feeling without getting overwhelmed

Hello @someboi and welcome to ReachOut!

Thank you for your post. I am sorry to hear about your loss and I understand how the emotions can all build up and feel overwhelming. I just wanted to add this thread on different coping strategies that forum members have found useful, as it might help with ideas.

How have you been?

Highlighted

Good thanks,

My injuries have mainly healed, and i am back into gym, aside from the past week due to a head-cold. everything is going well and i am doing better in school than i was before, which i take as a sign that i am being more positive and more eager to learn, and i feel that this shows that i am getting better at controlling emotions and being happier

Highlighted

Hey @someboi good to hear your injuries are healing and you're back to the gym! What kinds of work outs have you been doing? 

Highlighted

@someboithat's great news! It sounds like things are looking up Smiley Happy What are some strategies that have helped with controlling your emotions and feeling more positive?