cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TW self harm: what happens when you tell a therapist you self harm?

CONTENT WARNING: self harm

2-ish months ago I started seeing a clinician about mental health stuff and told her that I was thinking about self harm, but had not actually done it. This was a lie* - I had harmed my self, and since then have realised it is turning into a bit of a problem and that I need to tell her about this sort of thing even if telling her makes me really nervous. I was wanting to know what happens when you tell a professional you self harm? I will tell her no matter what (not going to get better if I don't) but it will be less scary if I have an idea of what might happen

I am safe and I have an appointment with my clinician very soon. When I first met her she gave me the number of some support services in case I needed them

*please don't lie to health professionals

Re: TW self harm: what happens when you tell a therapist you self harm?

I am sorry to hear that you're struggling at the moment @linoleumflooring, and you are always always welcome to post here to talk about your experiences if you need Heart Thank you for letting us know that you're safe as well! I 

In regards to your actual question about how your psych will react to you telling them about your self-harm is dependent on a couple of things. In general, if you are under the age of 16 or so, your psych has a duty of care to report anything that could put you in danger to your parent or guardian - including things like self-harm. If you're between 16-18, then you might have a different arrangement where your psych doesn't necessarily tell your parents, however this is usually a discussion you would have with them before these conversations take place. If you are an adult however, this will be mostly dependant on your level of risk. If your clinician believes that you are at risk of doing significant harm to yourself, then they may recommend that you be admitted to the hospital for emergency psychiatric treatment. However, this is definitely a discussion you can have before you disclose anything as well! As uncomfortable or strange as it may seem, you can ask your clinician point blank how they would respond if you had told them that you had recently self-harmed/have intention to do so. 

I think they will try to understand how you feel and decrease your self-harm behaviours, they might also assess your risk of self-harm, risk of harming others or risk of suicide, it depends on how they think about the seriousness, and don't worry, a good mental health professional won't be judgemental towards that.

Hey @linoleumflooring , I just wanted to check in and see how you're feeling today? It takes a lot of guts and courage to open up about something like self harm to a mental health professional, but like you've said, it's a really important step to starting to heal. A lot of people aren't completely honest about what's happening for them at first, it can take time for trust to build, and I think you'll find that your clinician won't judge you for this at all. Most importantly, they'll be able to work with you on strategies to help you find different ways of coping, and help you to stay safe. Keep us posted on how you get on 🖤

Check out our community activities calendar for November 2020 here

I am feeling pretty alright today, actually! thank you for checking in with me <3 I am feeling a bit less scared about talking with my clinician now that it is not some huge unknown

Hey @linoleumflooring great to hear from you again Heart Thats good to hear that you're feeling a bit less scared now, I hope it goes well for you and you're able to get the support you deserve.