cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TW: witnessed a panic attack

Today I have had a really bad day.. I witnessed someone else having a panic attack/anxiety attack at the top of some stairs at school. They were on the floor shaking and crying and it triggered one for me and it didn’t go well

Highlighted

Re: TW: witnessed a panic attack

Hey @Bananatime04 , 

I hope you don't mind that I've moved this post to it's own thread as I feel it needs separate attention to your other thread, which was hosting some really interesting thoughts and an important discussion that I hope continues as well. 

Witnessing a panic attack must have been a really confronting experience, and i can understand why it triggered you.

Did you get support during or after the panic attack?

Are you able to practice some self-care or grounding strategies this afternoon? 

That’s fine @gina-RO Smiley Happy idk if I’d be very confident in talking about it because it’s already starting to trigger me a bit again..
I didn’t have any support, it was outside the toilets at the top of the stairs near the library so I just went straight in the toilets to get away from people and have time by myself to calm down.
I think I’ll be right for now but I can’t really talk about it much because it is triggering for me

Hi @Bananatime04!

I'm sorry you had a bad day. Smiley Sad It can be really distressing watching someone panic. It can be contagious, especially if you're a very empathetic person. I have been in similar situations. I think it was a good idea to walk away from the situation.

Sometimes when this has happened to me, it helps me to put headphones in my ears or listen to music so I don't hear the other person hyperventilating or panicking. I also try to distract myself with a relaxing task because it gets hard to concentrate on anything else.