cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Technology & Mental Health

@StarLord Yes! Yes! Yes! Sharing a bit of a personal experience here, but when I saw a councillor, they recommended the exact same thing. It's all about mindfulness and just being in the moment, as you've said. It really is a fantastic way of dealing with everyday stress or even when you feel like you're about to blow! Thank you so much for sharing your experience Smiley Very Happy

Hey @May_
I totally agree with you on the topic of reaching our full potential. I one hundred percent agree with using iPads to teach younger children and to help them develop, but when do we use it too much? Even today we're seeing some of the results technology has on younger generations. A lot of younger kids at my school are really obsessed with Minecraft and being online and at the computer. Whether or not this is a trend that they will grow out of or if it's something they'll carry with them for the better part of their life is something to wait and see, but I'm extremely interested in whats to come in this area.

And with how you use tech over books; I'm kind of the same. I don't go as far to say I'm *addicted* per se, but I do much prefer watching YouTube than reading a book. Thanks so much for your response, it's got a lot of great points!

Hey @Bree-RO
OMG! Someone was just talking about this today at school. I don't use it myself but I've heard it's really great at getting you to stay off your phone. Is it true that it can tell you how many hours you've been on your phone for too?

@Bree-RO you know about all the cool apps! Smiley Tongue

@tomo_13 I work with young children and see this a lot too - they are obsessed with the iPads and computer games. I often wonder whether over many many generations (assuming technology will continue to advance in a similar or linear way) our brain structure will actually change.

For a long time I thought I wasn't addicted it's only recently that I've come to realised how much time gets used up on screens I swear they are time vacuums (not that this is necessarily a bad thing - I would just prefer if some of the time was spent on other things)

@May_ I actually find the opposite, I cannot STAND passively watching screens. Any video longer than two minutes I struggle with, even marathoning TV shows I have a hard time, unless someone is happy to let me blabber about it during. On the other hand, I love technology because (for me) I have greater access to stuff thats interesting and stimulating. I have a big problem with ruminating and letting "bad thoughts" get a bit overwhelming in my head, so I like having puzzle games and whatnot on my phone for when I just need a distraction that doesn't allow me to think about what's bothering me. 

As for apps, I actually really liked kleptocats and the lil mini games on there. I also played a lot of spider solitaire (my fastest time is under four minutes i think) and I have this cute puzzle game called Kintsukuroi, where you put together broken pottery. I also like Viridi, but much its not as engaging because its just collecting lil plants. 

I also download meditation podcasts and stuff so I can listen to them on the go.

I think with technology, its very much how you use it. Maybe the reason why so many people find themselves sucked into passive activity because they're naturally inclined to that, but technology gives them a greater chance/more access to passive use? Like its a person-environment interaction. 

Hey @tomo_13 really? Awesome! Do they use it for studying or just generally treating phone addiction? Yeah it adds up your hours as you go!  I try and turn it on while I am with the other half or with friends so I stay present whilst hanging out with them. 

@May_ I know, app geek Smiley Tongue let me know if you have any more recommendations.

@ivory that's really interesting you are definitely onto something with that! It's probably only in the past 2 years that I have used screens more passively - to watch "trashy" shows etc - I used to watch high quality movies and educational things all the time and I want to go back to doing that. But I just can't shake the trashy shows because I'm addicted now. I think it started when I was going through a difficult time and I realised the power of watching essentially mind-numbing shows - they take you away from reality and your worries disappear.

@ElleBelle You love forest don't you? You'd definetely have some advice for this thread yeah?

@Bree-RO I personally don't use it, I think I'm pretty good when it comes to dealing with my phone usage (and help from parents when I was younger).
Highlighted

@tomo_13 Personally, at this stage I'm really against the whole movement into AI for counselling and mental health! Having done a counselling course myself, I just cannot see computers being able to understand the complexities of human feelings and emotions and know how to be able to respond to that. I find that so much of what makes counselling work is having that relationship with the counsellor, so I feel like that is going to be totally lost if we leave it to AI... I can see the applications for people in remote areas and stuff, but I've heard of programs reaching people in remote areas through Skype so I don't see why counsellors could begin to use that kind of technology too!

@ivory Do you have any particular podcasts you'd recommend? I've just started driving on my own and would love to find some new podcasts to listen to on my drives Smiley Happy