cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Uncontrollable Thoughts

Hey everyone, 

Over the past few weeks, my thoughts have been getting the better of me. I've always been someone who stresses over small things but never to the capacity that I am lately. 

I am finding myself taking the smallest things and making them huge in my head; trying to take meaning from certain things said and I find myself so deep that all that is coming out is negative.

I am also replaying conversations in my head, sometimes even before they happen, changing what i'm going to say and then getting myself so worked up over what someone might reply with that I end up not even saying it at all. 

I am not sure why I am like this or how I can stop this from happening. It is really starting to take its toll on me and unfortunately I just can't seem to shut my brain off.  

- Megan

Highlighted

Re: Uncontrollable Thoughts

Hi @MeganZ_97

Thank you for opening up about whats been going on for you lately.
Having thoughts that feel uncontrollable can be pretty scary, and overwhelming - especially because, as you said, we can't flick an "off" switch on our brain! It can get very tiring . 

We have some information here about negative thinking- could be useful for you to check it out. It can be easy for our brains to get into a pattern of thinking, and this pattern isn't necessarily always the best for us! The good news is the brain is also very good at changing when we know how to help it to! 

Are there any activities that you enjoy doing that help you to cope with stress? It sounds like you might be more stressed than usual at the moment. Exercise, making music or art, or other hobbies, can be great things to do to unwind or "turn off". What do you like doing for yourself?

Hi @gina-RO

Thanks for your response. I will take a look at the information link about negative thoughts. 

Lately, to try and help with my thoughts i've been drowning myself in music. I sing and play piano so I have been putting my headphones in and just appreciating the music. 

The whether here has been either way to hot or way too cold to get outside for a walk but I often try and walk every other day!  

Highlighted

Hey there @MeganZ_97

I'm sorry you're feeling really stressful lately. Sounds like once you start thinking about certain things/events in your head it tends to spiral out of control. So one of the best things you can do is as soon as you notice yourself thinking about these negative thoughts say 'no' just in your mind and then immediately do something that will change what you were thinking about. Like watch television, read a book, online video, anything that stops you from thinking. Hopefully this will make you calm down and regain your normal thoughts.

Replaying conversations is quiet common so please do not worry that it's not normal or you're strange or anything like that. I think it is because of your personality (Big 5 personality traits) that you are more prone to think to yourself. My advice is to mediate or something that allows you to calm down. Slow breathing, taking a walk, having a cold shower? I hope this helps.

Highlighted

Hey @MeganZ_97,

It's awesome that you play music and going for walks Smiley Happy Do you have any favourite genres?
What did you think of the factsheet?
Highlighted

hey @LeoTheLion

Thanks for your response. 

I find myself trying hard to say no and try to switch to something else. Sometimes it works, other times i'm just too deep in thought. 

The music is really helping at the moment so I am going to continue with that. I also do mindfulness often as it helps me sleep. 

Highlighted

Hey @N1ghtW1ng

I love musical theatre and my favourite music group 'pentatonix' are releasing a new album so i've been listening to their old albums and sneak peaks of their new covers which has been great!

Highlighted

That's awesome @MeganZ_97 Smiley Very Happy I'm glad that music is able to help you Smiley Happy

I was wondering if you've tried journalling before? Something that I used to do when I was feeling negative was write my thoughts out in a notebook and then be done with them. Journalling can help get the thoughts out of your head and onto paper, which for some can make them easier to deal with. Is that something that might work for you?
Highlighted

As long as you're trying @MeganZ_97! Of course sometime it might not work but hey, don't be too hard on yourself. 

Highlighted

hi @MeganZ_97 nice to see you

sounds like your having a rough time atm and have some loveley support from members here. i like other suggestions already

we have a journalling thread if you would like some tips  and can find it here

have you got any family support that you could talk to? a school counsellor? pschologist or gp?

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**