cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Weed addiction

Hey all,

Im 25 years old and have had a weed addiction for the past 4-5 years..

I can easily smoke 3grams to myself a day sometimes more sometimes less depending on the day.. I don't smoke for the fun of it anymore purely because my body needs it..

Ive been trying for a loooooong time to stop and i have over a few occasions but nothing long.. few weeks at a time. To be honest I just love the drug but i also hate it.. my relationship with weed is worse then a married couple!

I dont know what to do anymore, I work 5 days a week and have 2 kids(they don't know and never will) but its starting to affect my perfomance in alot of things.. i don't have people i can talk to about this so i resorted to google which led me here.

Its hard to withdrawel when i have so much responsibilities and no one knows what I'm dealing with. I just want to stop but i struggle everyday fighting with myself then give in.. this is a daily thing and its horrible Smiley Sad 

I could go into more detail but I'm on lunch break.

Highlighted

Re: Weed addiction

Hey @Itsonlyme 

Addiction is such a hard thing to deal with and it sounds like you just  have a lot on in general. Sorry to hear you can't talk to anyone about this, there definitely are some users here that have struggled with addiction so you are not alone. Have you had a chat to any support services?

Highlighted

Only a counselor a few times a few months ago, she suggested to refer to to a drug and alcohol place but I dont have time for that nor do I think I will benefit from them.

The thing is I KNOW what I need to do to get off and I have tried to on a number of occasions, then I go and give myself a treat after a few weeks because im craving it and then I end up back on it..

Im not one to complain but I'm just stuck on play, rewind and repeat.

The first 4 days are the worst for me, sweats, NIGHTMARES, nausea, anxiety, crankiness etc and the brain goes millions of miles per hour.. my brains constantly thinking about not smoking and smoking while im at work, it's always there it doesnt go.

After all the withdrawel I must say I love it. Yes its always there but I'm able to cope better, then after a few hards weeks I treat myself to a nice spliff and then here we go again.

Highlighted

Hi @Itsonlyme! Welcome to the forums!

I'm sorry that you've been struggling with an addiction. Smiley Sad It can be so hard to break habits that you've had for several years. I think it's great that you can see how your addiction is affecting your life and want to reduce your use of weed. You have shown a lot of insight, which is hard for a lot of people to do.
What do you think you need to do to reduce your use? Would it help to create a SMART goal regarding what you want to achieve?
giphy
BeyondBlue has some great ideas about strategies that you can use here.

Highlighted

Hey WheresMySquishy,

I have tried different methods from cold turkey to slowly weening off to every few days etc

The thing is I already have short and long term goals but being on.... its not fun anymore, its an addiction..

I don't feel the time will ever be right for me to get off as its never felt right before, it's just something that needs to be done.

I know eventually ill get there but theres a block in the road atm 😔

Highlighted

@Itsonlyme  That sounds really hard. Smiley Sad I'm sorry that you're feeling as though you aren't getting anywhere at the moment. I think it's awesome that you have a belief that you'll be able to combat your addiction eventually though. Smiley Happy How do you think your life would change if you reduced your intake?
Have you heard of Counselling Online or tried them before? They have counsellors who deal with drugs and alcohol.

Highlighted

@WheresMySquishy 

I benefit from alot when I'm not on, from small things to big things.. clearer mind, more focus, less forgetfulness, more money, cleaner house, happier me and more.

I havnt tried online counseling before I feel it wouldn't be much different from a face to face session. 

I'll do some research on drug and alcohol counsellors.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply 🙂

Highlighted

Hey @Itsonlyme 

Sorry to read about what you're going through.  Recovering from addiction can be difficult and lengthy.  There may be bumps along the way and it's normal to have lapses.  It's important to know that a lapse is not a relapse, it's just a little bump, so if you notice even small improvements (i.e., less weed) then that is still progress Smiley Happy.

Have you looked at any alcohol and drug services in your area?  

Highlighted

Hey @Ronan-RO

Ive actually been reducing weed last few days since started this post, also been to the doctors for a script to help with sleep so I'm slowly preparing myself again. 🤞

I think in my case I would call it a relapse because it's  not just a one time slip up when I do it, it carries on for another few months until I attempt to quit again.

In 4 years I've tried quitting about 10 times, longest time was 1 month but i smoked once a week. 

I know what I need to do to get off, I just need to fight through like we all do in tough times.

If I need extra help ill search some around my area 🙂

Highlighted

Hey @Itsonlyme thanks for updating us on how you're going. You're taking all the right steps to set yourself up for quitting - was your doctor supportive? Also, I was wondering if you've ever attended support groups when quitting? It can be really helpful to have other people around who understand what you're going through and help you push on. I'd be happy to find some supports for you, if you're interested Smiley Happy