cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

What i wish i knew before seeing a mental health expert for the first time.

A lot of us have been through the process of seeing a psychologist/psychiatrist or someone else who helps out with our mental health for the first time. But not everyone is quite there yet! So this is a thread that i'll be sticking up in random places for people to ask questions about seeing a mental health expert for the first time. It's also a place to share tips and tricks that help you find the right person and get the right kind of help sooner Smiley Happy

So....

1. What would you like to know about seeing a mental health expert for the first time?

2. Do you have any tips or tricks that might help someone who's thinking about having a chat?

Re: What i wish i knew before seeing a mental health expert for the first time.

hi @Ben-RO

im here as well to answer any questions people might have about seeing a psychologst and a psychiatrist as ive seen both and ahve experinence with both.

while i dont really need to know anything i can share some tips

firstly- dont worry about being nervous for the first time- most people are and mental health professionals are very use to nervous people.

2. dont be afraid to ask questions- anything you have on your mind or concerns you

3. try to be as open and honest as you can- while i know this is hard itll help give them a good idea

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Whoa they are some great tips @scared01! I think you're right, it's tricky to be open, but it sure does help. I know some people have taken a few sessions to get to what they want to say, and that's okay too. I wonder if anyone has had trouble being open and could share some tips for what helped them say what they needed to say?

i think feeling comfortable with that person is a big thing @Ben-RO if your not comfortable then how can you trust them? and then you tend to clamp down and be very very weary of what and how you say it

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

feeling comfortable with your therapist is probably 95% of it. Find someone you can really connect with and open up to. I know - easier said than done but there are many professionals out there who really do care and WANT to help.