cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: What is a Psychiatrist appt like?

He sounds great! I am SO happy that it went well. Smiley Happy
Are you going to continue seeing him? Smiley Happy It sounds as though you felt comfortable with him, so that's fantastic!
I'm really proud of you for going, Shadow. Smiley Happy
Also, my psychiatrist has an amazingly soothing voice too! It's almost freaky lol.

I'm definitly going back!! Smiley Very Happy My GP gets uncomfortable talking about MH, so the psych'll be awesome in that regard... 

I wish he's give me sleep meds though. I'm exhausted and extra time in HSC'll just give me more of a chance to fall asleep! Smiley Sad

Going from weekly appts with psychologists to fortnightly with him is a bit tough, but once HSC's over, my psych can help me cope me easily. 

JD: I honestly never thought I'd say this, but it's worth the hunt. It really is! Perseverance pays off! Smiley Happy Gordon Parker's interview with Margaret Throsby was on repeat the entire 3 weeks I was waiting for the first appt. I strongly recommend listening to it. 

You sound so positive, shadow. Smiley Happy I am so happy to see that! Smiley Happy

As for sleeping - most psychiatrists will only give meds as a last resort - and honestly, once you go on sleeping tablets it's often really hard to get off them. I find it more effective to use other techniques like meditation, making sure you have a good sleep-wake routine. Have you checked out the factsheet on RO? There are some great tips on there(http://au.reachout.com/How-to-get-a-good-nights-sleep). I have also recently downloaded some apps on my phone that are helping me sleep... apps like gentle, soothing, relaxing music or noises like rain or rainforests. I find they help me relax and stop focusing on other things going on around me.

Good luck with it. Smiley Happy Keep being amazing!

Thanks! Smiley Very Happy I really needed to hear that. Smiley Happy

Here's hoping I get a good sleep tonight! Smiley Happy

Tks Shadow - i'll find that interview and have a look, sounds interesting

I have a couple of great guided meditations for getting to sleep in apps on my phone too! they work really well for me - if only to keep my mind from thinking the zillion other thoughts that keep me awake when I'm trying to doze off.

It's on itunes and the ABC website. Smiley Happy

I have my first appt with the psychiatrist tomorrow; so glad this thread is here Smiley Happy Helps put some of my worries at ease a little

Good Luck! Smiley Very Happy

Write stuff down if you get nervous.... Smiley Happy Like MM said, questions are good. I ask HEAPS of them! Don't be afraid to disagree. They'll apreciate your reasons. If you can't explain why you disagree, tell them. Mine didn't bat an eyelid.

The first sessions always the hardest for me.....

Now I look forward to it 

Best of luck lokifish! Let us know how it goes (if you feel comfortable doing that!). And I'm SO thankful this thread has helped you feel more at ease!

Shadow, I am so glad that you look forward to going to see your psychiatrist... I do as well. Smiley Happy It's a great opportunity to get everything "off my chest".