cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What is a Psychiatrist appt like?

Does anyone have any advise on 'What if the sessions with a therapist (be it a psychologist or psychiatrist) isn't going down well?' 

My solution is the above is to run away, but it isn't a solution at all. I have been told to confront my therapist with the things that is not going down well. Easy said than done. 

@Doris wrote:

Does anyone have any advise on 'What if the sessions with a therapist (be it a psychologist or psychiatrist) isn't going down well?' 

My solution is the above is to run away, but it isn't a solution at all. I have been told to confront my therapist with the things that is not going down well. Easy said than done. 

I had problems with my psychologist, but I gave us both space and worked things out. Helps that she actually listens to my reasons, tries to see things from my point of view and accepts that no one knows my life better than me(something my psychiatrist has conveniently forgotten!) He seems fixated on what Mum's said, rather than on what I'm saying. I'm 18!He's just labelled me with "Adjustment Disorder" *rolls eyes* I've read the info sheet he gave me and come to the conclusion this means that he has no idea what's wrong and expected me to fit nestly into a label. I politely gave him my reasons why I disagree, but he ignored me! ;/ I thought the whole point of therapy was to have "honest communication?"  

Hey Doris,

There are times that we all feel as though things are not going so well in sessions with our therapists. And it's SO important we share what we like and don't like about the sessions we have. It might be only small things but they all add up! And if you have a good therapist, they'll be open to changing to suit what YOU want! It's YOUR sessions after all!

I am not a very "vocal" person so I would probably write a letter explaining what I like and what I dislike about sessions. I REALLY think it's important to include both the good and bad.

I hope this helps...

Thanks Shadow and MM

Well, if a therapist is not listening, it is time to move on. I found psychiatrists are the hardest to match up to, meaning it is hard to find a good one. I am still chickening out contacting my psychologist. I conveniently forgotten what I was suppose to confront him about. Yeah...I did forget. 

Well, I have a plan!! Smiley Very Happy

If he doesn't work, I'll try the other Psych in the practice! I'm determined to get to the bottom of this as I'm sick of having no answers and fumbling round in the dark! :/ 

That's awesome to hear that you're determined to get things sorted Shadow! Hopefully this psychiatrist goes well Smiley Happy Let us know!

Oh that's hard Doris and Shadow, I think I got really, really lucky with mine. We connect and she's attuned to my needs. If there's something new I want to talk about she always gives me an opportunity to raise it.

If I was in that situation I would probably try to start up with another one and say exactly what wasn't working with the previous therapist and what you expect to get out of them.

Ok, here's an update:

1. He's slowly reducing the dosage of my current medication- Wish I hadn't agreed to it! My psychologist is bored discussing how scared I am about stopping it and tells me to give it a chance, which is fine, but I'd appreciate some support! how do I know she's bored? I've seen her like this before.

2. Sleep's gone out the window 

3. My major work is stressing me out heaps, even though I've asked for help!

4. My Art teacher has turned everything I knew about the subject on it's head and thinks we've all done phototography as a subject- if you can't take good photos, she says they are boring and makes you take more, yet when you show her the 2nd lot, she cntinues to say they aren't good enough and asks you why you took them! Um, maybe coz you made me!!

As for my psych, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can approach the principal to suggest she employ someone else to help take some of the load off? I think part of the reson my psych's bored, is she's stressed! If she's too stressed to take any reason interest, how's that help any of us???    

@Shadow wrote:

As for my psych, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can approach the principal to suggest she employ someone else to help take some of the load off? I think part of the reson my psych's bored, is she's stressed! If she's too stressed to take any reason interest, how's that help any of us???    

That's interesting insight there Shadow. Looking out for people is great, even if it is suppose to be the other way around.

Talk to a teacher you trust and raise the issue that the professional relationship with the counsellor is not working out and why do you think it is so. Suggest to the trusted teacher the counsellor may need some extra support from the school, nominate the idea that someone should speak with the counsellor without mentioning your involvement in the idea? 

Do you thing she herself is aware that she's stressed? If you mention it to her it could motivate her to mention hiring someone else.

You could also leave a note/letter for the principal.