cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

What is it like the first time talking to a councillor?

Hey there,

So I was planning on booking an appointment with my school councillor in a few days. Only one of my friends know that I want to and only because I didn’t want to convince myself into not doing it. She promised to drag me there if she had to and I just wanted to ask... what’s it like for those who know from personal experience? I want to know how I should approach my problem. My parents do not know what I’m going through or the fact that I’m going. I just want to resolve my issue and that’s it. 

Thank you. 

Highlighted

Re: What is it like the first time talking to a councillor?

I'm sure there will be plenty of great tips from the RO  community @Fluffsar. Have you thought about calling Kids Helpline - it might be a good way to introduce yourself to counselling and therapy (in a less confronting way than being face to face)?

Highlighted

Hey there @Fluffsar and welcome to ReachOut! Smiley Happy

It's amazing that you are planning to book the appointment, school counselors can be a great resource in helping you out. One way of approaching your problem with the counselor is to write it out and then tell them what it is, it's what I've done as well and I've found it to be a great way of approaching the topic. It's okay if you're not sure what you need or what you're going to say because that's what the counselors are there for.
It can be scary at first, but you can do it! Smiley Happy
Highlighted

hi @Fluffsar and welcome to RO

everyone has varying experiences with counsellors. can i ask if your looking at seeing an outside counsellor or a school counsellor?

ive had both good and bad experiences with counsellors mostly with finding the right one for me but some only go to the one therpist instead of changing. the first and second session are often the get to know you ones, like what your troubles are, family dynamics, what a goal could be and a few other things but really its about getting to know you and what you need help with. 

do you have any specific concerns about seeing a psychologist?

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**
Highlighted

Hello @Fluffsar

Great to hear that you took the initiative, it's actually very hard to do for most people. Don't be nervous although it is understandable that you are. You and the counsellor will just have a talk, pretty simple actually. Pretty much it goes like this, you walk in, have a seat and the first thing they'll ask is 'What is wrong' or something along those lines to see what you need help with. Once you tell them then they will give you a few techniques to deal with your issue or help come up with ways to deal with it etc.