cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's 'Getting help' all about?

Life sometimes throws us curve balls - things that are challenging, confronting, painful. 

And at some point or another, we all need extra help getting through these tough times. 

Human Reminder GIF by riceisholy

We know that getting help can be hard. 

Whether it's linking in with professional  help, or talking to someone you know and trust, this is a part of the forum where we can talk about how to get help for yourself or someone you know that's struggling. 

Maybe you don't know where to start, or maybe you have some tips to share? 
You've come to the right place. 

If things are feeling really heavy, and you're wanting to post about thought of ending your life, head over to this post to see how to do this safely.  We want everyone to be able to share what's going on for them, so that people can get the help they need, when they need it. 

art help painting positive GIF

Re: What's 'Getting help' all about?

Such a fantastic discussion topic, I look forward to seeing this conversation unfold!

I am just going to tag a few members to get the ball rolling Smiley Happy

@scared01 @litgym @annabethxchase @Esperanza67 @May_ @JanaG @Bee @indieinsanus @Puppies026 @dog_lover94 

Did you know we have new Community Guidelines? You can check them out here

@Asche @letitgo @RevzZ @ecla34 @LeoTheLion @roseisnotaplant @FootyFan26 @DirtWitch @Mila28 @xxjessiieexx 

@gezellig @rose13 @seadreamer @marshmallows @Sunflower18 @Loudcloud @MitchellClifford @DIVYA @Maddyw @Stardust23

i must admit before the end of May this year, getting “help” was non existent. without ReachOut i would have never made my first time of contacting khl and continuing to get help and support. tbh i think i wouldn’t be here if i never had any of my supports. the best possible thing to do is reach out, even if it’s just to an online forum it WILL make a difference, for the better Heart you will be heard, supported and caredHeart

@litgym Thank you for sharing this!  Heart 
You've done so amazingly over the last few months. We are all so happy that you came to the forum, and that we get to be a part of your journey. Heart

I think the 'Getting Help' is one of, if not the most important thing for you to do when you are in a 'sticky situation.' I also think that a lot of people don't think that their problem is important enough for them to reach out to a helpline, forums etc. Kids Helplines 'motto' is 'anytime, any reason' - no problem is to big or small and you DESERVE help. A lot of people don't think they deserve it but they do. It takes a lot of courage to reach out and like @litgym said, reaching out does make a big difference and its super important! Don't be afraid, the helpline counselors are always there to listen to you, support you and help you ad well ReachOut Smiley Happy
When I first came here, I was upset, confused and just needed someone to listen, a place to vent and I couldn't be more grateful for a ll the support I've received Smiley Happy .
On a side note: Something I've noticed on RO is that people usually sign up DURING a crisis (I know I did! Smiley Happy ), but it's important to try and recognize when something bad will happen then try and prevent it.

I want to second what @litgym @annabethxchase have said Getting help is so important even if your first step is coming here reading or signing up to post, we care and we will do our best to support you Heart as annabethxchase said that often people feel like their problem isn't big enough, and I think an important thing to remember and to ask yourself is "Is this problem impacting you?" If the answer is Yes than seeking help from someone is a good step. It might be a short-term problem or it could be a long-term problem, but as the old saying goes "A problem shared, is a problem halved". Now I've been around on these forums for quite a while and I was once a user who was very scared and reluctant to seek help for multiple reasons; and RO really helped me see that what I was feeling was okay, but that it also meant that I needed more support to cope with daily life.
If there is one thing that you take away from my paragraph, I hope it's that it is possible to seek help - however scary you feel it is! (and yes it's okay to feel scared Heart )

Get to know each other more in our monthly Introduce Yourself HERE!

We updated our guidelines! Check them out HERE!
Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

I completely agree with what @Bee and @annabethxchase  said. I believe that it is very essential in the first place to recognise that something isn't right and upon that realisation the person should not for once feel ashamed of either reaching out or asking for the required help. Moreover, I recently read a quote by Nicole Lyons- "The deepest pain I ever felt was denying my own feelings to make everyone else comfortable.” which is very relevant today because the society has attached a lot of stigma to discussing about mental health, that people suppress their problems only to fit in with what is considered 'normal'. I really hope that we as a community combat this stigma sooner or later.

Also, I really appreciate all the people who gather the courage to share their experiences as this will only make the community stronger and will give more empowerment to the others to seek help Smiley Happy

I found this art work today and thought it was very fitting for this topic of "getting help". 

Many people feel like they are a burden when they need to ask for help - it's a horrible feeling, and can make everything feel even worse. 

The reality is that noone is ever a burden - every single person is gong to experience hardship in life, and will need extra support. It's human! 

You are not a burden, you are carrying a burden. 

Burdens are best shared Heart

burden.PNG