Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I go for help



My 18year relationship ended two years ago and I am still having trouble moving on.


I don't know how to re-build my life - I have no interest in anything.


I have seen a psychiatrist who just talks to me and has given me anti-depressants to take.


These feelings are never ending.  My life is so empty.  I have no friends and my family is not close by.


I feel desperate.

Re: Where do I go for help

Hey @Unsure 


It is terrible that you are going through this and 18yrs is a long time and I can understand why it would be difficult moving on. I can hear that you are going through this alone and you are not sure where to start re-building your life. I think this is a great step forward to getting help and it shows your strength and courage to come on here and share your story with us. 


Most of the content on the site is for young people under 25 but I thought reading these factsheets might be helpful for you about dealing and coping with a break up. 


I think it might help to speak to someone about what you are going through and how you are feeling. If you would like to start slowly, the next step I would suggest is  Lifeline on 13 11 14 they also have online chat  there is also beyondblue and you can contact them on 1300 22 4636 they also have a web chat service. 


You are doing the best you can and you are strong for asking for help in moving forward 


Take care of yourself 

**Believe in the power of you because you are your own hero**

Re: Where do I go for help

Hey there @Unsure - things sound pretty dark for you at the moment, so you've taken a very important step by posting here. Sometimes when people say they are feeling empty and desperate they are complemplating ending their life - is that something that has entered your mind? If it is, it is really important that you contact Suicide Call Back Service now. You can do that by calling them or chatting online.


I also wanted to say that even though it sounds like you feel like your psychiartrist is not too helpful it's important you stick to your medication and see her/him as scheduled - however it does sound like perhaps you could do with some support from a psychologist or counselor to address the feelings of emptyness and your trouble moving on from your relationship. For this you could talk to your GP who can help you with a mental health plan to get medicare to partially fund your visits to a counselor...


ReachOut is targetted at 14-25 year olds so I'm sorry if some of the info feels a little young for you - if you are finding like you can't relate - you could try which is aimed at people of all ages....

Once again - just contact Suicide Call Back Service if you are thinking of harming yourself - and keep reaching out. Just because you have thoughts of suicide doesn't mean you have to act on them...

Online Community Manager

Re: Where do I go for help

Thank you

Re: Where do I go for help

Hi @Unsure ,

I'm so sorry to hear you're having such a tough time after your breakup. I just wanted to let you know that someone out there understands. After I split with my exhusband, it took me several years or a bit longer to get over, I just floundered. For a long time, I didn't even want to get over it. I couldn't believe how hard it was and how long it took to get over him.

So I guess I just want to say, don't give up. It may feel like you'll feel alone forever, but you can get through it. You're doing the right thing by reaching out to talk to people here, and seeing a therapist. Good luck to you!