cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work bullying

I have a four year apprenticeship ahead of me (baker/pastry cook). I've only been doing it for a few months and I'm absolutely loving it. Although there's a guy I work with who is very rude and sly. He makes nasty/rude comments where no one else is able to hear them except for me and they range from about my appearance to the others who work there/the boss. Lately he's being blaming things on me that I haven't done but he's doing it sneakily where I'm unable to do anything about it. It's been going on for a couple of months now and it's making me hate the job and I have no idea what to do about it as it will always be my word against his and obviously they'd take his word as he's the fully qualified worker and I'm just a young apprentice and I feel that because everyone likes him there that they'd think I'm lying and it'll come back onto me because I have trouble making friends with people as I'm really quiet.

What do I do? I'm so stuck and I'm sick of being so miserable about it, I just don't know what to do. 

Re: Work bullying

Hi @Kizza,

Welcome to ReachOut and thank you for sharing what has been happening for you. I'm really sorry to hear how much this person has impacted your enjoyment of working and learning to become a chef. Bullying in the workplace is never okay. ReachOut has some great resources on workplace bullying that may be helpful to you in knowing what to do and where to go for information. This video here gives some examples of what counts as workplace bullying and this page here gives some ideas of steps you can take to address it.

Have you spoken to anyone about what is happening at work like family or friends?

There are other ReachOut members that have also had similar experiences and you might find reading their posts helpful Heart

Check out our community activities calendar for July 2019 here

hello @Kizza and welcome

im sorry your experiencing Bullying perhaps you would like to join in with myself and some other members in a chat (a GR) about bullying tonight at 730pm (aest sydney time). we would love to have you there. 

could you chat to the supervisor at all and explain whats going on? like in a private meeting sort of thing where you can say what you need without prying eyes and ears

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Hi there @Kizza and welcome to ReachOut Smiley Happy

This apprenticeship sounds like an amazing opportunity, I'm glad that it has been good for you. It sucks that this guy has been bullying you though. What did you think of the suggestions by other users of talking to someone privately about the issue?

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

Hi @Kizza

I would definitely suggest you talk to someone, like your boss or supervisor. It does sound like this will continue so you will have to put a stop to this. Nobody wants to feel miserable at work and hating the job that they do. Even though it is like you said, your word against his, almost every work place will take the victim's word. I think they have an obligation to protect all employees or something but I'm sure all work places have an anti-bully/discrimination policy they have to follow. 

Unfortunately that is your only option. Unless you want to confront that person directly which is always an option but as I'm a non-confrontational person, I wouldn't go that route.