cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Worried that all medical care is having no effect.

Hi everyone, 

I'm 21 Years of age and I have been suffering from pretty crippling anxiety for about 3-4 years now. I remember being a bit nervous as a kid but it seems to have really taken a step further as I grew older. To summarize, for the past 3 years I have been held down by my anxiety and mild depression, I have a constant fear that something bad is going to happen to me, so I avoid those situations at all costs. I stopped seeing my friends and hanging out by myself as I fear that negative things could happen to me, the fear of death and the fear of something happening and not being able to do anything about it is what really drives me down. I get nervous over everything, slight change in breathing causes me to get dizzy in the head and not think straight and then suddenly I am breathing a lot tighter. My breathing becomes sharper and shorter when I become nervous, causing me to freak out over that and fear that I will not be able to breathe and die. I fear that the dizziness in my head is related to some health condition or at worst, a serious head issue. Reading online my thoughts can be loosely described as Agoraphobia and the fear of everything. 

I've sought medical help throughout the years, been on many different dosages of medication and found that none of the dosages worked. I was put on another SSRI tablet and found the same, no major differences, despite being on the dosage for about 5 months altogether. However, when I weened myself off the tablets for two weeks, I noticed massive side-effects, almost as if the tablet had been working. My mood had changed, I became shakier, and worst of all, I was getting nauseous in the head. 

I quit work for 2 years, I was just too nervous to take myself to work (I work with my father, so it had been easy for me to take time off, as easy as sitting at home for 2 years and getting yelled at for being a bum). Work would become a routine for myself, getting up in the mornings at 5 am and coming home at 4 pm (with my father) and this routine got me back into work. 

I write today because I am stuck on what to do, sick and tired of all of these freakouts, I don't feel like myself anymore (hadn't for a while). People would tell me to go out and take a walk or to go and get some exercise and to stretch myself, almost as if they hadn't listened to me explain my situation numerous times before. I don't see an end to this anxiety and it's really getting on my nerves, I'm not depressed (sure I don't shower some days, and my personal hygiene may not be the best) but as the days go on, more and more thoughts start to go through my head and my energy gets less and less. 

I just want to know guys, anyone with a similar story pulled through. How do I go about managing this easier, am I speaking to the right people? I just want to feel normal again

Highlighted

Re: Worried that all medical care is having no effect.

Hi, 

Personally, I have never had that experience with anxious thoughts or anxiety however I do know a lot of people who have been in a similar place. I hear that what is happening for you is extremely tiring, which is understandable from what you described. Have you reached out to a psychologist or mental health professional (in person or online)? For me if found this switched the focus from using medication to actually helping me find ways that I can cope with my feelings/emotions. Is this something you would be interested in? 

5am-4pm is a huge day at work, which would fatigue anyone. Have you thought about other professions that would have shorter days or has a workload you feel you would be more suited/comfortable with? 

Highlighted

Hey @zaneofalltrades, I just wanted to echo some of the suggestions made by @LeapofFaith. It sounds like you've identified a lot of things you're struggling with, but you haven't found that the medication you've been taking has been helpful in improving things. I think it would be a really good idea if you talk to your GP about seeing a therapist. It's pretty straightforward to get a Mental Health Plan, which entitles you to 10 bulk billed psych sessions. This way you can try a different strategy, which might be a bit more effective in helping you Heart 

Also just as a heads up, we had to edit your initial post, as it's against the guidelines to write the specific names of medications Smiley Happy 

Highlighted

@zaneofalltrades 

I just thought I'd pop in here and see how you are travelling? It can be hard when anxiety has challenged you for so long, disrupting your work, identity and enjoyment of life.

@Andrea-RO  and @LeapofFaith  have made some great dialogue which I recommend you follow up on. In terms of resilience and stories of progression and recovery, these threads may provide some insight and helpful tips to help get you started on your wellbeing journey:

https://forums.au.reachout.com/t5/Something-s-not-right/Turning-Negatives-Into-Positives/td-p/1810/j...

https://forums.au.reachout.com/t5/Getting-Help/1000001-COPING-STRATEGIES-amp-DISTRACTIONS/td-p/14288...

https://forums.au.reachout.com/t5/Getting-Help/TW-I-want-to-improve-my-health/td-p/402698/jump-to/fi...

Hope some of this helps, we are here to listen if you need anything x

Highlighted

Hi guys, not sure how to work this forum yet. Just wanted to give a big thank you to everyone who took the time to read and comment. I have taken the advice mentioned above and I have spoken to my psychologist who I had a really good conversation with regarding where to go next. I am going to look at medicating soon, jumping back on them and speaking to my psychologist about ways I can manage it

Highlighted

Hey @zaneofalltrades, I think you are doing a great job at using the forums. Do you have any questions about how to use it that we can help with? Is there anything you are confused about it? It sounds like you made a lot of progress with your psychologist and that the session was really helpful. That is amazing to hear Smiley Happy
Highlighted

@zaneofalltrades that's great to hear that you spoke to your psych about it, that sounds like a super proactive step. Feel free to use this thread to keep us updated on your journey if you like as well Smiley Happy