cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: attachment to your therapist and what you have tried doing about it

Yep I will go with that Shadow!

That's also pretty poor about your GP and a shame he doesn't like discussing it. Definitely need to think about seeing another one!
Highlighted

I think how I got thru it so quick with my GP was because I was informed and assertive.

I went in there with a purpose and I said I've got anxiety and depression and I want the Better Access Scheme.

And they did it for me straight away.

I love being able to self-diagnose!

Highlighted

Yeah that's pretty much what I'm going to say to my GP on Monday...no time to fluff over things!!

So I got an e-mail from my psych yesterday and this is what she had to say about the whole freaking out over her leaving thing:

'I kind of thought you might freak out a bit with me leaving (just because most people do....) and I really hate to say goodbyes, it's very abnormal to end relationships when they are working well!! So half of it is probably my projection onto you....so don't feel completely responsible for freaking out....I do too!'

I think that's a fair call. I'm seeing her on Wednesday so I'm sure to bring up the issue of attachment then. But I'm sure she probably already kind of knows.
Highlighted

Hey Sagira,

I hope the appointment with your GP and session with you psych went well today! Smiley Happy

Let us know how it went (if you want to!).

Seems as though you've made some really positive steps so I'm hopeful things have continued to go well for you!

MM.
Highlighted

Thanks for checking in MM.

Yeah I sort of had to fire all the things to my GP, lets say she was surprised and admitted that there have been many things that have happened over the years that I need to work through.  So mental health management plan is all done.

Was nice seeing my psych today.  I actually forgot that I wanted to talk about the whole attachment thing.  I sort of just roll with it a lot of the time (unless I write particular things down) because whenever she asks me if there is anything particular I want to talk about I always forget.  But it's nice, I have an appointment with her at her private practice, as it is something she is happy to do.  So I'm glad about that and will be sure to write a list of things down next time!!

I also told my Mum that I am seeing a psych.  Been meaning to, but really just haven't for no particular reason.  I told her I went to the GP and because she asked why I went...I told her.  It was also the reason why I was in Sydney for a few extra days with the family before heading back home to study up for my uni exams.  It was intersting.  I think I stumped her and she didn't expect it.  She asked me if I was unstable.  I was like no...what the hell sort of comment is that.  I'm sure she will have more questions for me when I visit in a few weeks.  Will be interesting to hear what my Dad has to say too.

Oops...didn't mean to write so much.

Hey sagira,

Sounds as though your GP was really helpful! It's great that you have a mental health savvy GP! There are MANY GPs out there who have NO clue about MH!

I am also the same with forgetting stuff when I go to appointments - writing things down is definitely a good idea! I write my psychiatrist HUGE letters now. Smiley Happy It's much easier as I'm not a big "vocal" person!

It's great that you told your mum - I think her reaction isn't all that uncommon unfortunately. It's just because of the stigma and misunderstanding about what psychologists do! So if you are able to it'd be great to educate her further! The more educated people out there on MH, the better!

Sounds as though things are definitely looking upf or you - I'm very happy to hear that! Smiley Happy
Highlighted

@_sagira_ wrote:

I also told my Mum that I am seeing a psych.  Been meaning to, but really just haven't for no particular reason.  I told her I went to the GP and because she asked why I went...I told her.  It was also the reason why I was in Sydney for a few extra days with the family before heading back home to study up for my uni exams.  It was intersting.  I think I stumped her and she didn't expect it.  She asked me if I was unstable.  I was like no...what the hell sort of comment is that.  I'm sure she will have more questions for me when I visit in a few weeks.  Will be interesting to hear what my Dad has to say too.

I've been thinking about your Mum's reaction a bit and wondered how I would react if I didn't know anything about what mental health professionals do. I think I probably would have had a similar question run through my mind… but not because of concern about myself; I'd be asking so that I could figure out if I needed to pull together some resources to support you.

Some people operate very pragmatically: when they hear some news, they instantly start mentally processing what they need to do about it, if it's something they can help with, and so on. I'm someone who operates this way. Your mum was probably just trying to get a better idea of the situation so she could better understand how much of an impact it's having on her child, and how much help she can offer. Smiley Happy

Really love how you're taking it in your stride though! You're an example to us all. Smiley Happy

Highlighted

MM
yeah my GP is good, she actually offers counselling services as well, although I have never used her for that before.  I think it's really a great thing.

I'm usually okay with bringing things up with my psych -apart from my last issue, which I sent her an e-mail about- so I understand where you're coming from.  For me it's when I am anxious and stressed about something I am really bad about expressing myself.  When usually it comes quite easily.

Yeah I'm not how much I want to go into it with my Mum.  She's a bit weird sometimes, I don't like telling her things that are really, really important to me because she will either take another persons side or opinion (not support me) or will kind of just not say anything about it, even though I know she gets it.  But yeah if she's curious and asks I will tell her more about where it's all stemmed from.

LEX
I hear where you're coming from and I appreciate it, it does make quite a bit of sense to me.  The thing is I am almost positive my Mum was depressed at one stage herself and may have been seeing a Therapist...but I'm not certain because no one ever said anything.  It was all sort of hush hush.  My Dad always hinted at certain things, but it has never been voiced allowed.  So I do wonder.  Maybe when I see her next I can talk to her about it a bit more.  I mean there really is no shame in these things.

Highlighted

@mischiefmanaged wrote:
Hey sagira,

Sounds as though your GP was really helpful! It's great that you have a mental health savvy GP! There are MANY GPs out there who have NO clue about MH!

Sounds as though things are definitely looking upf or you - I'm very happy to hear that! Smiley Happy

My GP is very uncomfortable with anything MH related, yet with physical stuff he's fine! Part of the problem is, he's been trained in drugs, so everyone gets a prescription when they walk through his door...  

My Grandmother had depression and Great Grandmother had bipolar, so Mum thinks she knows everything about MH and thinks the GPs are clued in about MH. Sadly, they aren't. Tried to xplain, but she refuses to listen, so I'm glad everything's working out! Smiley Happy  There's hope for me yet! *sigh* Back to trusting my instincts.....

Highlighted

@_sagira_ wrote:
I mean there really is no shame in these things.

Exactly.

I've had a couple of friends open up to me over the past year or two by revealing that they're seeing therapists. They  think they're going to surprise me by it but instead get surprised themselves when I don't get uncomfortable or treat them any differently.

I kind of see it like they're seeing a physiotherapist: there's a problem, it's serious, but someone is helping you to deal with it.

The biggest difference is that, since it's not a physiotherapist, I don't have to make sure there's wheelchair access. Smiley Wink