cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: attachment to your therapist and what you have tried doing about it

@Lex wrote:

@_sagira_ wrote:
I mean there really is no shame in these things.

Exactly.

I've had a couple of friends open up to me over the past year or two by revealing that they're seeing therapists. They  think they're going to surprise me by it but instead get surprised themselves when I don't get uncomfortable or treat them any differently.

I kind of see it like they're seeing a physiotherapist: there's a problem, it's serious, but someone is helping you to deal with it.

The biggest difference is that, since it's not a physiotherapist, I don't have to make sure there's wheelchair access. Smiley Wink

Yeah it's interesting isn't it.  I have had friends tell me they have gone on meds before for MH but not a therapist.  When I actually started telling my friends it was like I opened a door that allowed them to admit they had all just started seeing therapists themselves.  I find it curious.

Erm...yeah don't get me started on physios, I was seeing one 3 times a week for about a year and a half.  That was intense. 

Highlighted

I have been seeing a psychologist semi-regularly for a few months just to work through some issues that have been plaguing me for a couple of years. While I don't tell everyone about it, I readily discuss it with friends and family if it comes up and I find that people are usually more curious than surprised. A lot of people say they have seen someone in the past (often after losing a loved one), and others are really interested as they have considered it and want to know about the experience and whether it is worth it. 

I also think the more people are honest about it, the less of a taboo it will be in the long run. 

Attachments to therapists I see as normal.

Its a relationship that you don't want to end, It is designed that way.

I wouldn't want it any other way...

I agree with the comments about new people

I absolutely hate meeting new people, relaying the story, and wasting time on it.

Currently talking my self into seeing someone new, because I need to.

- Major obstacle is the GP - Who don't understand MH at all, most I find are really uncomfortable with the topic

- Second obstacle is who??? WHO? WHO? WHO?

@Dysfunctional wrote:

- Major obstacle is the GP - Who don't understand MH at all, most I find are really uncomfortable with the topic

- Second obstacle is who??? WHO? WHO? WHO?

YAY! I'm not the only one!!! Smiley Very Happy

Wow...see I never even really considered the whole MH thing when I went to see my GP, I was actually really comfortable with it because I knew she would totally get it (offering counseling her patients and everything)

Hmmm...well Dysfuctional, do you mean 'who' would you see. Do you have any recommendations from anyone you know? Otherwise I think I would just start and if you don't like them, try to find someone else.