cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
me2

bullying in medical school

I have been bullied for 4 years by a group of students in the medical school I am attending.  Yes they will soon be doctors.

The ring leader wants to work in hospital administration, another wants to work in ED and another wants to be a country GP.

I dont want this bullying to continue for the rest of my life as so far nothing has been done and I doubt they will ever get more than a slap on the wrist.

They will even have access to my medical records and have probably already accessed them.

It is so unfair that these horrible people can get away with making other peoples lives hell.

Re: bullying in medical school

me2 That's awful and I'm really sorry to hear that. Surely they would not be able to access your medical records legally? Maybe something you can look into and see what you can do about it.

I can't believe how some people even after high school stoop as low as bullying. Obviously they're insecure for some reason about themselves. Perhaps they see you as a threat?

Have you tried talking to someone at uni about this? Maybe within the counseling service? I know that some therapists know the ins and outs of uni policies and can maybe make some suggestions on what you can do about it? I mean it could impede their academic transcripts or something?

Here are some fact sheets that might help:
http://au.reachout.com/Bullying
http://au.reachout.com/Bullying-and-the-law
http://au.reachout.com/About-workplace-bullying
http://au.reachout.com/How-to-stand-up-against-bullying

Hopefully it gets better for you.

Hi me2,

Bullying is a terribly hard thing to deal with no matter what kind of environment it is in. It is something that a lot of people go though so you are definitely not alone. I think the fact that you have dealt with this for so long and are willing to speak out shows how strong your really are so you should be proud of that!

I'm currently a medical student too so I understand that medical school can be a very stressful and competitive place to be. But there is no excuse for bullying and it is important that you know that you have a right to feel safe and fairly treated wherever you are. The AMA even has a workplace and harassment policy and I’m sure your university has one too.  

Is there anyone in the faculty or at the hospital you are currently in that you could maybe talk to like a Student Academic Support Person? Or is there a tutor you feel comfortable around who you think might be able to help you reach the right channels.

If you want to read a little more about bullying here’s something factsheets you might want to read over.

-          http://au.reachout.com/Bullying.

-          http://au.reachout.com/How-to-stand-up-against-bullying

Hope things work out and let us know how you go. 

Hey me2 

It is terrible that you are being bullied and for 4years. That is such a long time for these people to be doing this to you. They must really be suffering with some serious self esteem issues because Hurt people will Hurt people. In saying that, you do not deserve to be bullied and you deserve to feel safe and happy. 

sagira and dilz have given you some great advice about bullying and standing up to it and I also really want to stress that you need to take care of yourself as well and do things you enjoy and build better coping skills so you can better deal with the bullying in a positive light. 

Hope this helps and that you find peace.

me2

hi

i told teh uni about it 4 years ago and they did nothing

i even involed the student advisory person

this time i have told a different person but i dont expect they will do much

student doctors and doctors have access to anyones medical records. anyone who has ever been in a public hospital has records taht are freely available. I have had cancer so i had treatment at the public hospital. anyone can log onto PACS and TEDS. ANd lots of the time the computers are left open so you can look up any patient's records.

the students who are doing the bulying are actually GEMP (mature age) students (2 males aged in their 40s are the ringleaders and post blogs that feature stories about me, probably made up- how can they be so immature and how can they get away with this).

the younger students are really nice so they cheer me up.

i have heard of doctors comitting suicide because of bullying. one was a friend of a friend who is a well known consultant, and another was in the news last year.

thanbks for your support everyone

me2

and please excuse the typing errors Smiley Happy

me2

yes these people obviously have some psych issues

a friend of mine who lives in a nursing home (and was citizen of the year) said the father of one of them (the one who wants to be a GP in busselton) was a horrible bully too

me2

facts sheets dont tell us what we can do to prevent the bullying

like can I take legal action ?

if so what are the acts or cases that i can use to have them prosecuted ?

just "standing up to them" makes them laugh and bully back because they want attention from their peers

thats what happens and im sure that is exactly what the other people being bullied face

and their gps give them antidepressant medication. the best medication is to stop and prevent the bullying in the first place.

Hey me2 

I wish I could give you all the answers you are after but I am very unsure of any legal action. It is terrible that the uni have done nothing about it and it sounds like the bullying is quite ruthless. 

Have you thought of giving Lifeline a call on 13 11 14 and expressing how you feel about the situation, maybe talking about it will help you in some way deal with everything. They may also give you some referrals for people you can talk to in the legal department. 

We are here to support you all the time Smiley Very Happy