cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: checking in

Hello! Heart Good to see you too! I haven't been too bad at all... not enjoying the cold weather though. Do you want to speak a little more about your surgery? I know you have had a lot of tests and appointments over the last couple of months... have you previously had surgery? I think it is pretty normal to be nervous and anxious about surgery. It is really difficult to know what to expect and that is where some anxiety can arise... is there anything in particular that has got you worried?

brr yes the cold weather isnt all that great @Taylor-RO esp when you gotta work in it outside
whatve you been getting up to?

yeah ive still got more tests and appointments coming up but not for this particular surgury. its my first surgury so i know thats a big contributor to my overall anxiety-even though ive been told what to expect i guess it doesnt really compare with lived experience does it. i dont think its anything in particular, mostly jsut the overall sort of situation knowing how unpleasant ive been told its going to be as well
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Yeah, I can't imagine working outside in the cold weather.. it must be horrible. Do you have to wear a lot of layers? I always have my little heater on - I do get very cold easily though. Not too much! University has started up again for the trimester and I have to move house.. not one of my favourite things I must say Smiley Happy

That makes a lot of sense with it being your first surgery. It is all really unfamiliar so like I said, I don't blame you for feeling so unsure. It sounds like you have done all you can by talking to the doctors about what to expect. Recovery is different for everyone, so hopefully it won't be as unpleasant for you. My fingers are crossed! From all that you've told me, you are capable and resilient. I am not saying it is going to be easy but whatever comes your way, you will deal with it as it comes. Take a look at what you have been through - you have always problem solved yourself out of it. Do you know if you can access any support for after the surgery? Sometimes the hospitals can provide some form of respite Heart Is there anything we can do here to help?

oh wow uni and moving house-eek thats alot @Taylor-RO what are you studying?

yeah ill just take it day by day as i normally would. i think alot alos is that it is still a little while away so its not like i only have a week to keep myself busy and occupied sort of thing. it just gives my brain that chance to over think or wonder or think of more questions.
thanks for keeping your fingers crossed, ive heard its pretty awful but hopefully with the right pain management and treatments it wont be to bad.
i will have some nursing support coming in for a bit each day for a few days to check in which is great. i cant organise much more till its abit closer just in case of cancellations or unexpected events etc but i have some options in mind for my caree while im not home and while im limited in doing much.

I am studying mental health! Yeah, I hate moving to be honest.... I have lived in many houses over the years.

Ahhhh! That is definitely tough.. waiting is so hard. I can totally see how that would give you more time to worry.. How are you going to tackle the time between now and the surgery? You always sound really busy so I hope that makes time go a little quicker for you. Pain management, treatments and nursing support sound like really great options. I am glad you have some assistance during that time.. I think a lot of people don't know about some of those services. So do you have to organise replacement services for your caree while you are recovering? And what about yourself - do you have activities planned for while you are healing? I am off for the night but I am sure I will speak to you soon Smiley Happy

ive lived in many house too @Taylor-RO which also meant school changes to. such a pain but i hope your new house will be the right one and you wont have to move for many yrs to come.
cool, i studied abit of mental health too, kudos to you cause some of the things are hard to grasp the concept of.
i am generally busy so should help pass the days, i guess i will continue to have harder or more anxiety filled days surrounding my surgury until it is over with. theres only just over 100 days till the op so it might seem like a long way but i dont think it is when its said in the days version.

my recovery for the first week will be basically movies, puzzles, board games and that sort of thing and then gradually easing back into work but only light roles for another week. i will only be allowed to have soups and liquids as well so i dont think ill have huge amounts of energy even once the general is worn off which can take up to a week. im going to have a look and a speak with some family that is only an hr away from where ill be and see if they could watch over him for a few days at their house while im recovering.

Hey @scared01.
Sorry I wasn't on when you replied, I had some stuff to deal with. Including my own health, as you have described in the past few replies.

I'm glad that you have some form of recovery activities and assistance though.
I've never had surgery, or broken a bone, but I do have my siblings who went through the same thing. Although, it wasn't really surgery. My brother had a broken collar bone, and my sister split her chin open. My brother did the exact same thing as her, but not as bad.

I wish I could help more, but I have other things going on tonight.
I'll be on again tomorrow or Friday, whichever one work for me when I log on next.

//Nothing is impossible. The word itself says "I'm Possible"//
Highlighted

@scred01 I haven't been on much. I hope you are recovering up well. How are you feeling now?

@scared01  Caring for someone with dementia is so hard. Smiley Sad One of my family members has it and I suspect one of the people I'm caring for has it too. Like you, I have to often check up on what they are doing and make sure they are safe. I get really worried about the future because I've been told that it will get worse over time. So far, that's been true. One of the worst things about it is that they are doubly incontinent but don't clean up after themselves and refuse to do anything about it such as wearing incontinence underwear.

Good luck for your surgery! I hope it all goes well and you have a smooth recovery. Heart It sounds pretty major. I've had a few surgeries and procedures myself and not knowing what to expect can be really nerve-wracking. Everyone is different too. I read that some people found one of the things I had to be very painful, but I ended up being in hardly any pain. My doctors have been discussing the possibility of me having another surgery but it depends on how I respond to my current treatments. I don't think it's going to be any time soon and I don't want to do it unless it is necessary.

Something I have found useful is to know the potential side effects of surgeries and procedures in advance, what is normal and what isn't, and when to see a doctor or go to hospital.