cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

drugs getting the better of me

I always told myself I would never touch drugs. I grew up around people who were addicts, Mum still is, drugs is part of the reason Dad died. I saw what they did. So why did I go against everything I start on cocaine three weeks ago. I wasn't thinking when I started and now I can't stop, but I need to stop. Not only is this new habit costing me money its taking over and already ruining things for me. There are so many reasons to stay yet so many reasons to stop. Someone please help, I want it out of my life before things get even worse. This is not me, i am not this kind of person! Smiley Sad

j

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//
Highlighted

Re: drugs getting the better of me

Hi @j95 I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling with addiction. It's great that you are so self-aware and that you are reaching out for help. Here are some resources that can help:

Lifeline is always a great option. You can find them online at www.lifeline.org.au or call 13 11 14

http://www.ysas.org.au - You can chat online or call them 24/7 at 1800 458 685

http://www.counsellingonline.org.au/ - Offers free drug and alcohol counseling 24/7 online or you can call at 1800 888 236

http://www.ndasd.com.au/ - A service to find help close to wherever you live

How about giving one of these a call and see how it goes?

Highlighted

@Topaz I will have a look at them all, thanks so much

Highlighted

Hey @j95 how are you going there dude? Really sorry to hear that your having some drug related problems at the moment

Its so awesome that you've recognized this as a problem and want to move past it!  That's something to be proud of

@Topaz  has given you some really good resources, and http://www.druginfo.adf.org.au/contact-numbers/help-and-support is also a place to go looking.  I also have a feeling that if you went to the doctor they could give you a referral for some extra help if you wanted that

Don't be too hard on yourself, people aren't perfect and we do make mistakes!  It's really good that you've made a decision that you don't want to take drugs anymore - now you have an awesome opportunity to think about what you've learned from this and to show yourself how strong you are

Good luck and let us know how it's going

Highlighted

I just know that the longer I keep going the worse it's going to get and the more things it's going to ruin
Highlighted

@j95 Recogonising all this sort of stuff early on (like that this isn't the sort of thing you usually do, and that this recent habit could make things really hard for you down the track) is a really positive sign. I know that you can kick this habit with some research, support and hard work.

You've got the links and have probably looked through them by now and you have us to support you... so that's two out of three steps down. In order to start that third step what don't you try writing down a list of trigger feelings or situations that might make you want to use that drug? (Eg if I go to ****'s house they might have the drug, so I shouldn't go there for the next few weeks).

lanejane
Highlighted

Hey @j95 i'm so sorry to hear that you're struggling with some drug problems, it's really good that you've accepted that it is a problem and are looking for help.
You are really self-aware, and for that you should be proud!

You've been given really good links, hope you check them out. Good luck

Hey @j95 ,

Speaking from experience, one of the most effective ways of steering yourself off the path of addiction is to immediately stop spending time around friends who use drugs. When you are caught in the obsession like you are now, it's virtually impossible to spend time with people who are ttaking drugs and not end up doing it yourself too.

It doean't mean you can't be around them forever, it just means that while you're dealing with getting over the desire, by talking to a drug and alcohol counsellor and any of your support network, you need to keep drugs as far away from you as possible.

It might sound really hard, especially if lots of your friends take drugs, but it can often make the difference between getting clean and finding yourself using for the next twenty years or more. Or worse.

Take care, get as much support as you can, and let us know how you go. 

Highlighted

Thanks all! I know I can move past this and I'm keen to get out of this bad habit as soon as I can and before it gets worse. Thanks for all your help. 

Highlighted

That is true, you know what to do, how to do it is something else, but now you know you need to stop and you have the motivation behind you, then do it and trying everything until you find something that works. I have had many friends who was on some heavy drugs for a very long time and has had the exact same experiences as you, but if your mind is strong then you can conquer it with flying colours. Smiley Happy

@j95 wrote:
I just know that the longer I keep going the worse it's going to get and the more things it's going to ruin