cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

exam stress techniques?

so last year was a trek. I got myself involved in drama and my whole life kinda turned rlly shit and honestly 2020 has been so difficult and hard. last year I lost a lot of my confidence and self esteem due to the incident that occurred last year (can check my other forums on that) and the extremely crushing exam results I got back. I hated myself cause I went from the 'bit above average' group to the 'bottom rank' group and I beat myself up over it cause I know I can do it but I just fucked up? when my parents found out they were pissed, beyond mad and honestly that made me feel so much worse. its one of the reasons ive distanced myself from my friends and trying so hard on studying. 

im writing this during exam week which probably isn't the smartest idea but its been day 1 and I already feel so overwhelmed I just have to get this off my chest. writing my feelings on thus forum honestly makes me feel better about myself so here it is. I had my physics exam today and honestly it wasn't too bad. but physics has always been a subject that I havnt been that good that and as soon as the test was over I was pretty confident. I dont wanna seem obnoxious but I worked rlly hard for that test and I wanted to achieve rlly well in it. after discussing with my friends I realised I made soo many silly mistakes and there were answers that I got right but changed last minute making them wrong. I felt so shit. and I know  that we 'learn from our mistakes' but ive been giving that excuse to myself too many times and I dont deserve to have that as an excuse. I feel so worthless and stupid like I dont understand how everyone around me aces exams and I feel so lost and I forgot everything I learnt and my mind turns blank. ive tried techniques on memorising and stuff but they never work on me and know im freaking out for all my other exams and basically the hsc which is in a year. its just im trying to up my confidence again cause I keep doubting myself and changing answers and I know I feel so done with life and everything its pissing me off. what is wrong with me? why cant I just be like everyone else and actually be able to remember stuff and ace exams? its like im not tryna be obnoxious but in class im the one who teaches my friends content cause I understand stuff rlly well but in exams I just forget or just confuse everything and I end up trashing the exam? 

Highlighted

Re: exam stress techniques?

I dont think anyone cares but I keep crying and I keep beating myself over this. I had a panic attack a few hours after the exam and I feel rlly shit. I want to talk to my counsellor about it but im just pissed at the whole thing. I get corona is messing up their sessions but my mum booked in sessions with my counsellor and every time she did they get cancelled last minute??? so far its been 3 cancellations in the past 2 weeks and im beyond pissed??/ I rlly need her and I needed to talk to her before my exams started. fuck
Highlighted

@ruthxxx I can imagine how stressed that would make you feel right now. Not doing well on an exam can often feel incredibly disappointing and it makes sense that you might be feeling low after something like that happens. It sounds like you're trying to do really well in school, and it's just that the exam format is making things difficult for you. Is there any chance that you could talk to a teacher or a guidance counsellor about making a plan to make things a little easier for you at school?

Highlighted

Hey @ruthxxx , I’m sorry to hear you’ve been struggling with exams and friendships at school. I’m out of school now but I relate and empathise with how you’re feeling. 
It’s pretty common that even though people study really well and memorise everything, anxiety can take over in the exam. I remember it was suggested that we should try and do practice exams in a similar setting and format to make the atmosphere more familiar. You could perhaps try that? Otherwise perhaps some meditation or simple breathing techniques, or listening to self-affirmations (e.g. “I can do this”) before the exam could potentially calm you? Of course these are just suggestions and they may not work for everyone. 
If it’s content you’re struggling with, are there any tutors available to help you? And is it possible for you and your mum to look into a different counsellor or psychologist that may be more reliable? 

I hope the rest of the exams go okay and are hopefully less stressful 💚

Highlighted

Re: im back?

Hey @ruthxxx , I was just reading through your other thread - I'm really sorry to hear that things are hard for you at the moment. It sounds super frustrating having your counselling sessions cancelled like that - do you have another one booked in? I'm also wondering if your school counsellor is someone who could help you out? We also have a section on our website with a lot of different info and people sharing their experiences of what's helped them deal with study and exam stress. 

I know that personally I found it really helpful to try and get some exercise before an exam, and then do breathing exercises before I went in to the exam room to calm and settle myself a bit,getting some decent sleep the night before also helped a lot . 

It's been a really weird couple of months, and it's also important to recognise that we have been living through really unusual and challenging times - you sound like you've been dealing with a lot, and it's important not to be too hard on yourself Heart 

Check out our community activities calendar for April 2020 here
Highlighted

Re: im back?

thank you so much on the support! I am trying not to stress too much and working with my counsellor rlly helped and I dont want to change it to another one. im not sure of the details on why it got cancelled so many times so idk. I want to go talk to the school counsellor but im just so scared to cause I feel like people are going to see me go there and then talk? and I know it sounds silly but I just dont want people knowing what im going through so thats another issue. I will try to check the website out and see if anything works thanks! im working on that thanks!
Highlighted

Hey @ruthxxx 

It makes sense to stick with your current counselor if you find him/her helpful. I think Janine just mentioend the school counsellor because she didn't know that you already have a counsellor.

It sounds like you're studying really hard and that you in fact, do, know the content very well, but it's just the exam environment that causes you to stress and blank out. I can understand how that would be very frustrating...

Sometimes it's helpful to write up your own practice exam and to pretend you're doing the exam at home (with limited noise, no distractions/phone, time restrictions etc.) so that you feel a bit more prepared for the exam environment during the real exam. I've done this before. Is this something you'd consider trying?

I'm guessing your counsellor offered you some good relaxation strategies, just like @Janine-RO did.

Also, just so you know I moved yours and Janine's posts from the thread "I'm back" to this thread on exam stress so that all the comments about recent exam stress are in the one place.

Heart