cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: opening up on sexual assault trauma TW

hi @WheresMySquishy !

i'm sorry that you have traumatic experiences of your own. it's comforting though, to know that you understand how i'm feeling. reading what your psychologist told you also helped me to understand that it's normal to not forget what happened; that it may always be a small part of me. i've been considering talking to my parents about attending a therapy session, i went to a couple as a child but i don't remember anything. from what it sounds like, they would be really helpful, especially in regards to a decrease of flashbacks like you mentioned. thanks for the links to the articles, they were quite useful 🧡

Highlighted

Hey @lola_ 

Firstly I want to say how brave it was of you to share that with us, and I'm sorry you had to go through that... Heart.

I'm glad that you've found the forums comforting and useful Heart.

Attending therapy sounds like a great idea. When do you think you might speak to your parents about it?

Highlighted

Hi @Maddy-RO 🧡

Thank you. To be honest, I have been feeling a lot better recently. Because of this I feel like I don't need to talk to my parents about it/ attending therapy, but at the same time, I am worried all the not-too-nice feelings will come back in the future. I think I should talk to my mum about it but I am unsure how to bring it up. 

Thanks <3

Highlighted

Hey @lola_ 

I'm glad to hear that you've been feeling better Heart

It might be a good idea just monitor yourself and if you notice that you're starting to feel bad again, then you might want to re-consider getting professional support.

Talking to your mum at some stage sounds like a good idea. Does she know about it already? (I thought maybe because she took you to counseling when you were younger, that she knew about it). It definitely can be hard to bring these things up. Often there is no "right" time. If you need some help with how to phrase it or bring it up, we're here for you!

Heart

Highlighted

Hi @lola_! I'm so glad that you're feeling better. Smiley Happy I think with any kind of trauma, it's normal to have good and bad days, so I think that your concerns about the bad feelings coming up again in the future are valid. I read a quote the other day that said, 'Accept what can't be changed, but observe and honour your feelings'. I thought it was really relevant to tough times.

I can't tell you whether talking to your mum about it would be a good or bad idea, but it could be helpful to have a plan in place if you decide to bring it up. You could rehearse what you're going to say in front of a mirror, write a letter or write down the points that you want to make in advance. It could also be helpful to reflect on past conversations with your mum and what has worked in the past.