cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

preparing for tough or triggering times

Hi guys

i was wondering what people do to help prepare for upcoming events/date/triggering times?

Most of april is a really hard month for me with many scattered aniversary dates and some other events that will be triggerring. I know everyone has some triggering times so i wondered what you do to prepare and to cope please

hope its ok but im going to tag some members but everyone is welcome to join in

@N1ghtW1ng @DruidChild @Jess1-RO @gina-RO @Bananatime04 @redhead @xXLexi_Lou122Xx @ecla34 @queenP @Bee @Jay-RO @mspaceK @Eden1717 @Jesika @Cheeseburger @WheresMySquishy @Hozzles @keezeik @letitgo @mrmusic @lokifish @Esperanza67 @roseisnotaplant @Sunflower18 @Saltwaterdreamtime 

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Re: preparing for tough or triggering times

@scared01 what I do to cope is, I just try and focus on the positives, that come after the triggering things, like for example I’m suppose to get bloods done for tests I need to do, and I’m focusing on the positives, I hate needles so if I worry about the needles I won’t get it done, another thing I do is sometimes I don’t concentrate on the triggering things, as I tend to overthink, I just concentrate on the things that are happening their and then not what’s in a few days

thats a really good way @Cheeseburger

@scared01 Thanks, but my mum tends to make the triggering things at the last minute so I don’t have to worry about it for long

I’m sorry but all I do is talk to someone.. I can’t cope on my own so I just ask other people for advice.. I talk to my gym coach, beyondblue, kids helpline, school counsellor and a couple of my friends. Sorry I didn’t really have good advice on this.. maybe some distractions? Idk

Oh and can’t forget the forums!!!

Thank you for tagging me! <3

Having a good support system can be really helpful, whether it's friends, family or mental health professionals. If you have someone you really trust you could let them know that the next month is going to be triggering for you, and ask if you could talk to them about it/ if they could help you through it. If your not ready to talk about it just yet (and that's okay, I know it can be really hard!), they can help distract you if you want.

Try to have something fun planned within the month you could look forward to e.g. meeting with friends, attending a concert or just doing something you really love. It can really help you to think more positive and get your mind off the triggering days. 

Relaxation activities can also be helpful, such as meditation or mindfulness. You could also try getting creative (e.g. writing, drawing or painting -- making things!) either as a distraction or to release some painful feelings. It doesn't matter if you're not the most creative type -- I find just doodling or even scribbling on scrap paper can really ease my anxiety.

@Cheeseburger my family does the same thing. sometimes the unpexected things can be harder to deal with too

talking to someone @Bananatime04 is a very important point. talking and seeking help and advice from others whether that be online, offline or helplines it still a good idea to have those sorts of supports

thanks @Hozzles youve made some really good suggestions and points here
i will have a look into some relaxation, fun and other supports esp for april.