cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

weed withdrawal chronic fatigue?

i’m taking a break from weed to increase focus and motivation until i finish my honors thesis (i’ve been sober for 20 days so far). the confusing and frustrating thing is that since i stopped smoking i’ve been having these intense fatigue issues??? i have no problem getting to sleep at night, in fact i get a solid eight hours each night, but i feel tired during the day and have been uncontrollably napping for 2-3 hours every day. it sucks because my head is so sleepy/foggy and i can’t concentrate on getting anything done. has anybody else experienced this and do you have any helpful advice for how i can get my energy back??? thanks heaps ❤️

Highlighted

Re: weed withdrawal chronic fatigue?

I think it is great that you are reaching out for some support and advice around how to manage the side effects you are experiencing @cavehag. I recommend reading some of ReachOuts articles about alcohol and drug use as you might find them to be helpful and informative. I also recommend that you see a medical professional such as your GP if you are having some medical concerns about your drug use.Your GP should be able to support you further and may be able to provide you with some other useful resources such as local centres.

You may also find it helpful to talk to a counsellor about developing some useful strategies. Directline is a counselling service that you could use that is specifically foccused around drug and alcohol use. Please feel free to keep us updated Cat Happy

Highlighted

Thanks heaps !!! I have checked out some articles and resources, but while lots of them mention insomnia and restlessness, not a lot talk about fatigue. So I wanted to see if there were people with experiences that I could learn from. I am planning on seeing my psychiatrist as well, but it will be a while until I can get an appointment so I wanted to try to get some answers in the meantime if I can. :~) xx
Highlighted

Hey @cavehag - good on you for quitting so that you can focus on your honours thesis. It's unfortunate that you are experiencing these symptoms though! I've never been a heavy user of such substances so I can't really relate, but I think speaking to your GP (or psychiatrist) is the best option. I'm wondering whether it may be like a withdrawal symptom...hmmm. Might it be worth booking in with the GP if your psychiatrist appointment is a while away?

Highlighted

Hey @cavehag. I was a pretty heavy weed smoker for the past few years and have also just quit in order to focus on my UNI course. I've been sober for a couple of months now and I think for me it just took time for all the weird feelings to stop. I honestly found in a way there was so much of it lingering in my system that my body just needed time to fully go back to 'normal'. 

I didn't necessarily have chronic fatigue when I quit, however, I struggled with feeling drowsy and just couldn't really focus properly. It took about a month or so, maybe even six weeks for that to kind of ease and now I feel really good!

Honestly though, good on you for quitting to focus on your thesis, it's definitely not an easy thing to do! 

Highlighted

@cavehag also ... I found exercise helped a looottt! I do yoga and go for runs/walks almost every day and that definitely helped when I was feeling tired or couldn't focus properly. 

Highlighted

@letsheal congrats on quitting also!!! seems like ur killing it!!! ☺️ thanks so much for sharing, i feel so much better now having a rough timeline for how long this will last. ❤️
Highlighted

oo thanks for the advice! i do yoga once a day but might add some cardio to that!

Highlighted

@cavehag you're welcome! Remember that everyone is different though!

Also just be kind to yourself.. I don't know about you but I got really frustrated by how slow and foggy my brain was at the start, was almost impossible to get work done but it gets easier and you start to remember that you do actually have a brain and it does work! hahaha