cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

13th Aug: feeling lonely

Have you ever felt all alone, or like you just can’t connect with people? Maybe you’re physically isolated, or feeling like you don’t have many close friends to turn to. We all experience loneliness from time to time, but when it’s a lingering feeling, it can make us feel pretty bad, and have a huge effect on our mood and the way we approach the world. 

There are many different reasons why we might feel lonely. From finding it hard to meet new people, to living away from home. Sometimes we even seek solitude as a way of coping with other things going on in our lives. This week on the Getting Real sessions, we’ll be talking about loneliness. How does it affect you, and how do you cope with it? Bring your ideas, questions and experiences along to the forums this Monday at 8pm AEST. 

In the mean time, you might like to check out these stories and fact sheets to get you thinking:

http://au.reachout.com/All-about-loneliness

http://au.reachout.com/I-feel-so-alone

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Re: 13th Aug: feeling lonely

Hey everyone,

Welcome the the very first of The Getting Real Sessions on the new forums! Tonight we’re talking about isolation and loneliness, what it means, how it affects us, and what we can do about it.

I’ll be facilitating with Cheekyone tonight, and we’d love for you to join in and share your experiences, ideas and thoughts.

Remember to keep the community guidelines in mind, so the discussion stays safe and positive for everyone. You can find them here:

http://forums.au.reachout.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/Forum-Guidelines/m-p/16#U16

If anything during the discussion makes you feel uncomfortable, please remember you can contact Kids Helpline (1800 55 1800) or Lifeline (13 11 14), or check out the Emergency Help and Info button in yellow at the top of this page.

Ready? Go!

Have you heard the phrase 'all alone in a crowded room’? Ever found yourself feeling a bit like that? Why?

Hey everyone,

Welcome to our first GR on the new forums Smiley Happy 

Hi everyone!! So excited for the first GR on the new forums Smiley Very Happy

Have you heard the phrase 'all alone in a crowded room’? Ever found yourself feeling a bit like that? Why?

I haven't heard that phrase before, but I've definitely felt that way before. I'm a pretty shy person and I sometimes feel like that at uni when I'm in a new class and don't know anyone. I generally won't make conversation with other people in the class if I don't know them so I end up sitting there silently while everyone else is chatting which makes me feel very lonely.

@Georgie wrote:

Yes, I've heard of this saying, and I've definitely felt like that before. Sometimes you can feel lonely, even when you're surrounded by other people. I've felt like this when my mood hasn't been great, and it can feel like you're alone or that nobody understands how you're feeling.

Hi DD welcome Smiley Happy 

I am a bit like that when I am in a new class as well I sit silent I normally wait for someone to speak to me first 

Wooot 1st GR session on the new forums!!

Hi Guys Smiley Happy

This actually gets me a lot, it's quite an ironic feeling...

In some situations especially when I don't know anyone in a room I get this feeling as if I'm isolated or as if there is a barrier that exists between myself and everyone else.

Hello people!

Yes and yes. The most obvious examples are when I'm somewhere and don't know anyone/no-one to talk to. It happens when I do know people as well, either because I'm not really close to them/as close to them as others/in their core group or because I'm just feeling 'out of it' at the time.

@DD - I feel like this a bit at uni too. I went through a time when I felt like everyone was all connected by their love for the subject, but I just didn't really feel like I was like them, so sat silently and didn't join in much.

@michine - Hey! Definitely know the feeling of there being an invisible barrier.

Welcome Michine Smiley Happy