cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Advice for the Nice: Knowing when to say No to social commitments

yeah im the same @j95, points for the intention?

@stonepixie since the day of that post I have been hoping that would happen and it did! We're just too awesome!

correction... Kmart is just too awesome!
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Saying no is normal for me. My friends usually go in groups anyway so it's not like I'd be leaving them all alone.

Practice makes perfect @j95 !
Highlighted

Sorry I'm late to the party folks!

6. Have you ever had to say no to someone who wanted to hang out with you? What was it like?

Absolutely! How wonderful is it when someone wants to hang out with you right? Reality is that it is not always possible to be available to hang out and sometimes you have to slip in the polite decline. Whenever someone wants to hang out, i always see it as an opportunity to get to know someone a bit better and break routine for a bit of fun. I always ensure that I reschedule for a better time (if the person still wants to hang out). 

Have you ever had to say no to someone who wanted to hang out with you? What was it like?

Right in the feels!

I say 'no' quite a lot! Mainly because I live 4 hrs away from the rest of my fam bam. It sucks, and I feel like I miss out on a lot.

Then when I lived on campus, I would say no to things but never really feel like I missed out on anything, because I got my uni work done, YO! Also, always turned down group study, because we didn't study the same things and it just ended up as a massive distraction.

And with my friends now, it is basically going backwards and forwards looking for a date we can meet up. Some are easier than others to set a time with.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Welcome @Shant2! That's a good idea, so it doesn't feel like you're blowing them off and communicating that it's just because you don't really have the time/energy

No, no, Kmart is not as awesome as us! Never forget that! @j95

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

I say no to social things so much, its more the work and volunteering I need to say no to! I have a full plate now so it's the perfect time to learn how to say no for future.
When I have said No to friends, I felt such guilt that I would make up excuses and lie about having plans. Then I got caught out and realised, saying no because I simply don't feel like it is okay! Everyone has off days, so I don't feel bad saying no to friends sometimes
we are what we repeatedly do - aristotle

6. Have you ever had to say no to someone who wanted to hang out with you? What was it like?

I am in a similar boat to @FootyFan26 we tend to hang in groups! 
I've been fortunate to have a great group of friends who understand I'm quite busy during each uni semester, so its gotten easier to say no.. we always try to catch up when we are all free Smiley HappySmiley Very Happy